1 Year Linux Challenge

I hope so, until nvidia supports adaptive sync I'm on AMD gpus.

After years of coexistence between Windows and Linux i got rid of Windows yesterday. I'm a Web Developer and a gamer.
The only thing bound me to Windows were video games but now wine is more than enough for me and more games come native on linux everyday.

So I'm ready for the one year challenge with Manjaro, I've wanted something different and out from my comfort zone. Usually I work a lot with CentOS VMs for testing and coding websites but I don't know a thing about Arch and derivatives :P
Furthermore I'll have issue never seen on servers and can't wait to work on it.

So count me in :) with Manjaro started 26 March 2016

2 Likes

So folks....today is the day I complete the 1 year challenge, and I'll easily say I'll never go back to Windows as my daily driver, yes I'm still using Win 7 running in a KVM with hardware pass through on top of Fedora 23, yes I still use Windows for some games (fallout 4 and GW2) along with a select group of Windows software but I have enough time using Linux to say that I'm very happy I switched, yes it was a learning curve, and yes it wasn't always easy but I was never tempted to go back to Windows only.

Everyday I read threads here on the Tek and other sites about Win 10, about all of it's spying and walled gardens, about how MS keeps changing the way telemetry is introduced and implemented, about how they are slowly removing choices for users, and how they keep moving the target of privacy, I'm just very happy I took the challenge, made the switch, and have been successful....

I wish the rest of you the same outcome. cheers!

5 Likes

I'd like to know more of this... I only need to play BF4/Warframe every once in a blue

1 Like

I'd like to explain it to you, it's really beyond the scope of this thread though, if you search here on the Tek forums you will find quite a few threads about the subject and it would be better to start a new thread in the Linux hardware or help desk sections to ask specific questions.

But a couple threads you can start with are...

https://forum.teksyndicate.com/t/gta-v-on-linux-skylake-build-hardware-vm-passthrough-tek-syndicate/87440

https://forum.teksyndicate.com/t/pci-passthrough-what-to-do-next-help-needed-almost-there/88916

https://forum.teksyndicate.com/t/gpu-passthrough-with-kvm-have-your-cake-and-eat-it-too/82250

Those threads should give you many hours of reading, if you have other questions just start a new thread and we'll try to help.

1 Like

I can't even remember if I put my self down for the 1 year Linux challenge but unfortunately as of yesterday I had to boot back into my Windows partition if you want to know the funniest part about it is that I need Windows 7 so that I could take a RHEL(Red Hat Enterprise Linux) class/cert because the software that they used for the Online learning class was Adobe Meetings Connect which I couldn't get full functionality on my Linux OS.

You could write me down I only use Linux at this point.

Would like to note that I did complete this although I made a switch over to Ubuntu.

Is this through red hat themselves? You should contact them about it. that's just..

I'm going to partition my laptop and start running openSUSE this weekend. Very exciting.

Its through a company called new horizons and for the online cores the software they used was adobe connect that beings siad the software I used to remote in to my Red Hat server was tight vnc and I probably could have gotten that working under Linux and the basic functionality of adobe connect I could have probably gotten to work but screen share was an issue and I was pressed for time.

Worth sending feedback to them. Linux course that I can't do on Linux..

Hello there o/

I want to revive the thread talking about the recent Ubuntu 16.04 release. Anyone? :)

I decided to upgrade from 15.10 and it has been great. No major issues after upgrading, just a few software reinstalls, adjusted some removed ppa's and recompiled a program. Nothing OS-breaking.

I was tired of Unity and switched back to MATE (I love it!) but I am testing the Cuppertino flavor. Yes, it's so apple'ish but it looks nice.

fglrx driver (AMD privative) has gone for ever. There is no more support for it, so I am left with the Radeon driver, still wanting to test it in games. I haven't been playing a lot this past months, last game was Starbound and it doesn't seem to be too GPU demanding.

A pic just for lols

Hey Guys!
Do you know any program for linux that can replace irfanview from windows (similar one). I really don't want to use wine or VBox. I just need a program that is simple and has batch resizing/renaming etc... Pls don't say GIMP ;P

I manage to find some batch renaming/resizing programs but they are really pain in the ass to work with.

You could try looking at gthumb or XnViewMP or Fh. Also you may get more responses on this thread because its geared towards Linux problems.
https://forum.teksyndicate.com/t/the-small-linux-problem-thread/75538

1 Like

I think I might give the new ubuntu release a try for a daily linux OS, I dont some linux here and there and a few server installs but nothing daily use.

Recapping my experience over the past year'ish....

• Installed Arch w/ Gnome on my laptop. Had a few issues. Eventually mobo died.
  • Bought a replacement mobo, and installed Antergos w/ Gnome. Didn't have the issues I experienced with my straight Arch install. Nice! Those issue did eventually creep in though. Hmm. Been running this install since probably November'ish.
  • Just reinstalled fresh Antergos w/ Gnome. One of the issue present at the start - didn't bother checking for the others.
  • Briefly installed Antergos w/ XFCE today just to check it out quickly before installing Fedora.
  • Fedora 24 Beta installed.

The issues I was experiencing with my Arch and Antergos install were related to Chrome, Chromium, and audio.

• Chrome and Chromium both took about 20 seconds to launch. (Everything else launches quick. On an old i5-540M with 840 EVO SSD.)
  • Sometimes opening a new tab in Chromium would cause audio playback of a YouTube video in another tab to stop.
  • Sometimes I had to refresh a YouTube tab a time or two to get the video to play.
  • Adjusting audio volume in the top right Gnome toolbar would cause the computer to freeze for 15-20 seconds.
  • In order to use headphones I had to make sure they were plugged in before booting the PC. The reverse applies for using the laptop speakers.

I just noticed that Chromium and Chrome aren't 'supported' out of the box in Fedora. Although I was able to download Chrome straight from Goog's and install it. All of the issues I had described with Antergos above are not present on this beta build of Fedora. The only issue I see now is screen tearing in Chrome... and need to Google how to get Chromium installed (I'm a Linux noob - hence my need of Google.)

I wish Arch/Antergos worked out of the box. I've grown accustomed to pacman and the AUR.

Gonna try Manjaro.
-Edit: 06/19/16- Well... if it would install. Freezes just over halfway through and sits at "Running hardwarecfg operation".

-Edit: 06/20/16- The Manjaro Gnome LiveUSB just would not install. Today I downloaded the KDE version, and it install super quick. Oddly enough - Chromium is slow to load here.

So far - Fedora and Ubuntu Chromium launches fine. Arch, Antergos, and Manjaro Chromium launches slow. Interesting.

OMG I am sorry but ...

No way I take on the 1 year Linux Challenge. LOL!

I heard that. If it weren't for me just using it on my secondary machine, I would either be dual booting or avoiding it completely.

I used to think like that, then I took the plunge in 2013, been cold turkey ever since