1 Year Linux Challenge

I started with linux finally a few days ago. Running Fedora Cinnamon with Win 10 in a Virtual Box.

1 Like

I've had to revert to windows on my work machine. We got into a high stress no time for compatibility issues situation. But I've still been using it on me and my wife's laptops. She recently discovered that doing comments and tracking changes between LibreOffice Writer and MS Word are not compatible. This is critical for her work so I tried installing Windows and MS office in a VM, but the Office install kept hanging up. I was on the verge of tossing in the towel...But then I remembered PlayOnLinux and sure enough, they have support for Word. Installed it, and looks like she is good to go. Phew!

I find that I kind of resent having Windows on one of my computers, and as work stabilizes I'll get linux running again and try to be more prepared for collaborating.

Also I moved to the Cupertino CA area recently and holy moly, there are tons of apple laptops here...It's almost like a mandatory accessory.

2 Likes

Getting Close! : P

1 Like

Updated the list to move the completed? users to a new list. It would be great if users who complete the year could chime in on their experience!

I'm around 5 years now. What do I win?

1 Like

@Chuckn2x I'll give you one Oreo.

1 Like

How does Windows 10 do in a VM?

I have been thinking of doing just that, but just haven't pulled the trigger yet.

@judahnator Didn't Wendell use Win10 in his VM video on the Linux channel?

1 Like

It works.

@Oaken How do I get on this list?!

It works good in VirtualBox (have yet to get a new machine for hardware pass through)

It works great, but I obviously don't do gaming on WIn 10 with virtual box (I use Linux compatible games right now). I use it mainly for Raidcall to talk with my clan mates, and it found the microphone on its own and everything.

The only slight problem I have is when Linux puts the machine to sleep, the network connection for Virtual Box WIndows is screwed and I need to restart the virtual machine.

Just don't forget to recompile the Linux Kernel when installing virtual box like I did. It crashed cinnamon and I needed to reinstall Linux.

@Miguel_Sensacion Apologies, I missed your post. Still on Fedora?

If this is still going and having a Windows vm is fine put me down. Not sure what distro I want to use, because I've been off and on Linux for a couple years and still haven't decided. I have decided to run Linux full time though with Ubuntu for now, but it seems to have some overhead.

Checking out Ubuntu gnome, Fedora, arch or antegros and whichever can play games best I'll probably stick with it lol.

@cxz cool, let me know when you decide.

Yes, I believe when I posted I was on Linux Mint, But I been on Fedora since November.

Thanks !

There's a learning curve with Fedora, I 'd say if you are new, go with Linux Mint. It's great for beginners, then after you grasp the nuiances of the OS, step up to Fedora | OpenSuse | Manjaro | Mageia

1 Like

Well I see the light at the end of the tunnel now. Windows for me is.

virtualbox startvm windows10 < Its rubs the lotion on its skin or it gets the hose again

Ill be back on my birthday :)

This is best thread on TS in my opinion, not pinned anymore :(. End result of this thread is me using Linux as main OS, and challenge completed, so used to it now, that using Windows feels akward.

That said, there are plenty of things left to be done for Linux, mainly for the topic of gaming, i feel that is main reason that hold people back to the Windows.

Thanks OP for this brilliant thread, and for saving my nerves (using Windows was nerve wrecking experience for me), there is no way i will go back to Windows for any serious usage, aside from few games from time to time.

1 Like

@leipero Still pinned for me...?

Yeah, It might be my fault after all, it was unpinned for me, however it has that pinn handle, and when i drag mouse pointer over it it said "This topic is unpinned for you, it will display in regular order". I don't remmember i did unpin, so maybe i did it by mistake if it is jsut me.