1 Year Linux Challenge

So im late to the game!

But from now on i will only have linux on all off my computers at home and at work. I am not a huge gamer and i think Ubuntu will do the trick for me.

Time to start learning to use the computer again :P

2 Likes

I think I am finally ready to start this challenge! Not sure if people are still joining, but I am starting now with Fedora Workstation (GNOME desktop environment).

2 Likes

2 internets

I would have said 5 one for each year but no one likes a "Notice me Sempai".

You will enjoy it. The codecs do need to be installed if you want them. Other than that, Its great

Yup, first thing I do when installing Fedora is update the packages, and install fedy with the rpmfusion repos

2 Likes

Going Linux Cold Turkey is the only way to appreciate the beauty of the GNU

3 Likes

running it side by kali linux side by side with windows on my laptop and linux server at home. trying to force myself to finally learn the command line. sadly i cant let go of linux completely due to developing for windows platform. which is a open market right now

1 Like

Virtualise!

1 Like

I've been running Antergos again. The start day can be 2016-03-12.

I'm going to be honest here and admit that I fell off the wagon (not THAT wagon) when Windows 10 went to public beta. So I used that for a while, and it was OK. I'm back on Linux now, mainly because of the spying BS in Windows 10 and partly because I prefer the UI in Ubuntu-Mate.

Kill the blasphemer!

Really though, glad your back. Hope you destroyed that windows disk with fire :p

2 Likes

Destroyed your Windows disk

Nothing quite so dramatic. Just reformatted and reinstalled.

1 Like

I had a friend who had the same scenario, he said "I Fell off the wagon, I'm a backsliding heifer!" But He is now back on Linux. I shared because it made me laugh when I saw your comment.

Around the time everyone started the Linux challenge, everybody I game with wanted me to run windows so I could game with them on new game releases. So moved from Manjaro to W7 and then upgraded to W10. Can't do it, Microsoft keeps doing to much odd crap and I'm an anxiety nut. The really ironic thing is all the programs I use are open source programs ported over from linux and the only Windows specific program I'm using is Discord. ( Says coming soon to linux, has said that for like a year now.) That and really getting tired of looking at updates that don't really tell me more than ( This fixes the security issue in the thing )

1 Like

I started the challenge on February 20th, wiped Winblows off my laptop and installed Ubuntu, then tried Arch, then Manjaro, then distro hopped a bunch before settling on Debian. I also dualboot Manjaro & Win10 on my gaming PC, but my recent obsession with Linux has kept me from even firing Windows up.

2 Likes

Some people are reporting issues booting back into Windows10/Linux after an Windoes10 update, be on the lookout

I have them set up as two totally different drives actually, so I don't think that'd be a problem. Would it?

Good thing I haven't booted Windows 10 in months!

2 Likes

i have heard an Issue with both instances, but I think the individual drives is less problematic...

1 Like

Well its been one year for me now. Still happy on Ubuntu Gnome, looking forward to 16.04 coming out next month.

I cant stand windows now I'm up to speed in Linux. The last time I booted into windows to play an old game I was playing when my computer shuts down and did a windows update locking me out of my PC for about 10 mins. In my rage I deleted that windows drive. Perhaps when you only boot up a windows installation once or twice a year you can expect it to not let you do anything till its finished doing what it wants.

I digress. Happy linux user. Challenge complete :P

3 Likes