1 Year Linux Challenge

error: /etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-redhat-release: import read failed(2).

rpm --import /etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora-22-primary

If it's successful what kind of response should i expect? because i ran it with sudo and nothing happened.

try to update the system.

warning: /var/cache/dnf/vivaldi-28791f08fe7f70b6/packages/vivaldi-beta-1.0.303.52-2.x86_64.rpm: Header V4 RSA/SHA1 Signature, key ID bf1700f8: NOKEY
The downloaded packages were saved in cache till the next successful transaction.
You can remove cached packages by executing 'dnf clean packages'.
Error: Public key for vivaldi-beta-1.0.303.52-2.x86_64.rpm is not installed

Most likely vivaldi-beta-1.0.303.52-2.x86_64.rpm does not have an updated key. An older vivaldi version may work, as it may have the appropriate key.

I removed Vivaldi and the update works now but it can't stay like this forever. I won't be able to use any software that's outside of Fedora's repo.

You could disable GPG key checking. By entering gpgcheck=0 under /etc/dnf/dnf.conf. If you want it to apply to all repo.'s put it under the [main] heading.

GL I've lasted like 2 days just trying it out. Really want to see who will last til the end of the year!

Thanks

Been using Linux exclusively since the summer, and will continue in doing so.
Linux is fun!

2 Likes

Bought a new laptop---immediately put linux on it. :)

Going on my second year with linux.

Congrats to all who have completed the year challenge and good job to all those who've undertaken it!!!

3 Likes

Didn't sign up for this, but this is part of my inspiration for 12 month linux challenge. Got Mint 17.3 installed 3 days ago. Headaches aside, it's been an.... educational experience so far. Thankfully my retired programmer dad helped me with some of the teething problems getting everything set up. Getting aliases for some commonly used tasks created using NEMO has been a godsend. I may ask him to write up a tutorial on the process on setting up aliases for the terminal. I reckon it would be super helpful for anyone making their first trip into an open source OS

I don't even know how to sign up? I had Linux Mint for 2 months, and switched to Fedora 23 now going on 3 months.

The Linux MInt installation has to be the easiest installation I have ever had. What problems did you have?

1 Like

The installation itself wasn't a problem. I had an error regarding the pre formating of my SSD, eventually just used the live disk to pre format the drive manually and that solved the issue, the installation went smoothly after that. Setting things up took me a while, but I'm going to blame that on my own inexperience with Linux as supposed to anything else. adding myself to the disk group so I had full access to my storage drive was something I've never had to do before, and as such wasn't a particularly easy or obvious fix for myself. I'm 4 days into using linux and overall I don't really miss windows for anything other than the fact that most things just work on the platform. I'm happy to inconvenience myself a little if it means that Microshaft doesn't get to put their dirty rapey Windows 10 "features" onto my machine.

2 Likes

Has anyone tried running any Linux distro's on a Dell XPS 13? I know they make a developer edition running Ubuntu but I read in few older articles that there where some issues with the touch screen and the WiFi adapter. I have Chapeau 23 running on my test bench and I've been debating with myself on installing it on my XPS. I ran a live usb as quick test and the WiFi adapter didn't show up at all. If can get it running reasonable well the XPS, I'll use it a lot more than just running it on my test bench.

I have a Dell Inspiron 15R-3521 and Fedora 23 {so did MInt 17.2} is flawless on it, if that's any help...

Wasn't even aware this thread was going on but I'll jump in.

I started using Linux Mint 17.1 the first week of May 2015 (probably May 6) on my craptop I use for college and daily use. It contained a non-genuine Windows 7 key and while it worked, it generally crashes sometimes and runs sluggish. It even makes the system heat up and ramp up the fans loud. Linux basically alleviated all of the problems I had with Windows as a daily driver. My laptop never gets loud or super hot. It still gets warm, but that's because it's a cheap-ass refurbished laptop. The Cinnamon desktop is really clean, minimal, and non-cluttered. Booting up and exiting the OS is just a lot more snappier than doing the same thing on Windows. Workspaces is just a genius feature and I can't believe it took Microsoft until Windows 10 to add that feature. Throughout most of the time, I was just using Mint as a daily driver to access the Internet and nothing major. Lately though, I have actually taken the time to really understand the OS and all of its features like adding repositories and PPAs to have updated versions of the software I use, and learning the command line. Eventually I borked my system (my fault) and had to reinstalled to a recent version (17.3) but otherwise, I really haven't had any problems I couldn't figure out through research. Linux so far has been doing the same things I normally do on Windows but better and a lot more feature rich.

As for gaming, I still have plenty of games that are Windows only. Fortunately some of them are Wine-compatible but since I have a craptop, I won't run some recent games like Shadow Warrior 2013 or Witcher 2. Eventually I will get a dedicated PC for gaming and content creation. I use a program called Antimicro to play games with the Dualshock 4 controller since there is no Linux version to DS4Windows (Go Figure) and I don't have an Xbox 360 controller or Logitech gamepad. Works really well and using it on games like Cave Story+ and Dust: An Elysian Tail where I am more comfortable using a controller than a keyboard even though they work well.

Now, I am really learning how to use the bash shell command line and just finished a crash course yesterday. It was a lot of fun using it despite being simple commands like "mkdir", "cat", "rm -rf", and "pushd". Find it crazy that this is how people use to interface with computers before GUIs were developed. Probably going to learn a few more commands before I start attempting to learn how to code. If there are any more bash commands that any person using CLI should know, please reply. I'm generally looking at the Bash Cheat Sheet for any new commands I want to add to my arsenal.

Only bummer I could think I have with Linux is that Linux support for Spotify is shoddy. Only thing you can use is some test build you download via terminal. It works, but it doesn't perform well at least on my computer when it comes to navigating music selection. Maybe someday Spotify will fully support Linux but I guess it is not part of their big priorities right now.

If you ever need any help with Mint, let me (or anyone with more than 8+ months or experience) know. We'll be glad to assist.

1 Like

Gah, haven't had time to work on my Gentoo install due to school starting up again. Going to put Ubuntu over it, I miss me my Linux ;(