1 Year Linux Challenge

It’s nice to see this challenge is still alive and well. Seems crazy to me now looking back that I had to challenge myself to kick over to Linux as a main user. (before I mainly just used it for servers)

However, for those looking to get involved don’t think that you have to stop using Windows or Mac OS (or even BSD). I still use Windows day to day for gaming, although most of my life is spent in Linux these days.

So good luck to anyone else who wishes to get involved.

3 Likes

I just wish there was an easy solution for temp monitoring for cpu. I have tried different things and I can’t get the sensors to work with my 2700x.

1 Like

I have decide to take the challenge of using Linux for a year. I’ve always just dabbled with Linux here and there. But never really learned it, if your know what I mean. Whilst in school(2006) it was covered briefly and I’ve used it to play around with Fedora over the years. Anyway I’ll be using Ubuntu(VM) over the next year so I’ll post updates or questions periodically.

7 Likes

Good luck bro!

3 Likes

Thanks.

2 Likes

I have begin in earnest last night.

will report back on 4/13/2020

even if I have been using Ubuntu for 3 years

3 Likes

New linux member enrolls here!

I will be back at 12/04/2020

5 Likes

Don’t you mean 2020 :wink:

2 Likes

Yes i ment that!

2 Likes

OpenSuse is a pretty cool distro. I never gave it a chance, before.

1 Like

I’m surprised I haven’t posted in here. Started my own challenge late last year around November or so.

5 Likes

Ahead of his time.

2 Likes

would say it’s @redgek’s alt, but it’s not… unless deep cover

or is it @AnotherDev dun dun duhhhh

Just want to touch base here. I should have posted a long time ago, but I have been on the same install of Solus since last January. If anyone has any Solus questions, feel free to @ me. I use it mainly for IT admin tasks. I primarily supervise macs.

1 Like

Who has the time to be an alt, I already have too many personalities :wink:

3 Likes

wait is this a thing now

4 Likes

my issues with solus come down to budgie having no way to manage or fix HID devices under wayland, I have to modprobe out drivers instead of just fixing a xorg config to get my touchscreen not to freak out

2 Likes

I’ve dabbled for a long time, but never really tried to use Linux as a daily driver for more than a few days at a time before going back. I have had an UnRAID and before that Amahi server for many years as well, so really this is overdue but I’m gonna give this a shot. Been pretty much daily since 03/04/19 but the current install is only 15/04/19 since I bounced through pretty much every Manjaro desktop before sticking with KDE.

Still working out the kinks on my VM so booting into Windows pretty reguarlarly for some games at the moment, but the works getting done on Linux anyway.

PS: Edited to reflect that I just switched, not a year ago eyeroll

2 Likes

Welcome to Level1, you are in the right place. I’m still a newbe at Linux. I’ve been at this since January, and I love KDE and Arch. Level1 forums and the Archwiki can answer almost any question.
Gaming on Linux has come so far in the past few months, windows is headed for the dust bin. Enjoy the forums, everyone is here to help. Good Luck.

2 Likes

Good challenge. I also want to participate in this challenge.

5 Likes