ZFS Data Recovery LMG Server

@wendell

You have been talking about your efforts over the past few months recovering the data off of the @LinusTech storage server. Do you plan on creating any technical content around that? I am extremely interested in you methodology and how you went about doing the recovery and I think many others are as well. This is “Real IT” work that, while perhaps being a bit above “level1”, is what separates the men from the boys.

Anyways, IDK how much effort you were planning on putting into content from that project but at the very least I am quite interested in lessons learned and takeaways even if you don’t fully flesh out the recovery process from start to finish.

4 Likes

Likewise, would be really interesting!

Understandably, it might be really complicated at stages, poking around and setting up runs, then literal days waiting for a transfer to complete, only to find hot garbage and have to sort thru some stuff to recover bits.
And that’s for drives that have the “right sort” of problem in the first place?

Would be interesting, if you can fit filming bits of it, around the actual Doing of it.

Planning to do some content with Allan Jude and Klara systems on it.

11 Likes

Looking forward to it!

1 Like

For the new solution in the basement, how will you handle bandwidth? I am looking to save some cost via peering and (if I can) connect to Cloudflare and their Bandwith Alliance.

I don’t know how LTT could let the ZFS get down the way he did :frowning:
A simple “zpool status” command atlis 1/m :frowning:
Love that Wendell is getting all the nice hardware to play yet he understands how to use it comper to some ppl …