Z690 Hard disk storage only Raid 0?

Hi everyone,

I’m an old fart and belong to a model airplane flying club, and take lots of videos. Until the 8TB SATA SSD’s get cheaper, I would like to come up with faster storage for archived videos. What I was hoping I could do, would be to get a couple enterprise class 4TB 7200RPM drives, and Raid 0 them, and I would use my 8TB as a backup. Is it possible to boot my system off of my 980 Pro SSD, yet still have a Raid 0 array just for storage? Excuse my ignorance, I’ve never done it before. Thank you for any insight. :slight_smile:

Specs:
12700k CPu
ASUS Z690-E Gaming Wifi
32GB 5600Mhz DDR5
Windows 11 Pro latest Build

Yes you can. Just install your new hard drives and use storage spaces.

This is the process:

1. Add or connect the drives that you want to group together with Storage Spaces.
  2. Go to the taskbar, type Storage Spaces in the search box, and select Storage Spaces from the list of search results.
  3. Select Create a new pool and storage space.
  4. Select the drives you want to add to the new storage space, and then select Create pool.
  5. Give the drive a name and letter, and then choose a layout. Two-way mirror, Three-way mirror, and Parity can help protect the files in the storage space from drive failure.
  6. Enter the maximum size the storage space can reach, and then select Create storage space.

I haven’t used Windows for a while, but I have used it before with external USB disks and it was fine.

1 Like

Hello and thank you for the reply. But I’m pretty sure what I want to accomplish, needs to be done through the motherboards chipset. It’s not redundancy I’m after, it’s the speed of RAID0.

RAID0 for backup? That does not sound like a good idea. If any of the drives fails in a RAID0 you lose all data on both drives

Have you checked out used enterprise SSD’s? Can get some pretty large SSD’s for cheap

Can’t help with your question, just throwing ideas out there

1 Like

No Raid0 for my media storage use, consisting of two like 4TB hard drives. I said my existing 8TB drive would serve as backup of the raid array.

@Edward - just to clarify (in case the web page extract isn’t clear), you can use storage spaces with RAID0.

As for the speed, I can assure you that storage spaces should be as good or faster than any motherboard “RAID option”. How do I know? My son and I did extensive testing over Christmas following his discussions with AMD over motherboard performance. The stats (which I will try and dig out if you need them) proved that storage spaces were better. Wendell and others have also stated that the motherboard option is not the best.

Also, remember that the motherboard option is a combination of low-end hardware and software (the driver). This means that several of the tools for determining the health of the drive won’t work as they cannot see the individual drives. So it can be hard to determine which drive is faulty in a group. so to check this, you would need to undo the RAID to undertake fault finding.

Hope that helps - feel free to ask more if needed :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh I didn’t realize. Wow that is great information. Seems like that particular method would be easier for a noob like me as well. I will try that. Thank you!

Another advantage I forgot to mention, is that if your PC dies, just put the disks in another windows machine to get your data. Motherboard RAID is harder!

I believe you can also do some clever things such as virtual disks in the storage (so your RAID0 could have drives E: F and G: for example).

And my memory thinks you could create a space that is a combination of your 3 disks - a mirror of the 8Tb and the RAID0 (2x4Tb). which would mean an “auto sync” between the 2 - but that would be catastrophic if you accidentally messed up by deleting something by mistake! However, I can’t find any info online and as I don’t use Windows anymore I can’t even try it…

Happy hunting through the directions :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.