Z590 pcie lanes and 10gbe Lan

Hi

Short version :
If am not wrong it’s like this:

Intel before 10th gen it was only 20 physical lanes coming out of the CPU

So pcie 3.0 X 20 lanes

Now with 11th gen they got 4 more lanes.
And support 4.0 for the devices that does use it

16 go to gpu
4 for nvme ( possible to make it X2 in bios )

4X for dmi link which the link then decides somehow to make it into “24 lanes” again. But it’s still physically limited to the original 4 ( bottlenecked of some sort )

Ok so if I am a heavy user will I be able to use 10gbe with sata ssd’s and hardisks without throttling ?
Will be able to utilize the 10Gbe ?

Long version extended:
To give you example}

Am building a NAS/server next to my desk right now and want to transfer files 10gbe Lan

Right now got all 8 sata ports on my maximus X hero (8700k) used with hardisks and sata ssd (30TB+ )

So I want to back them up on the NAS then replace them with bigger drives/ssd’s

Then add more in the extra sata ports if I get a motherboard that have 10 XD hhhh

Also when I use all USB’s I notice some don’t work because I reached the limit on my motherboard

So if I buy a motherboard Z590 with 10Gbe onboard will I be able to copy files between hardisks and then from the raid ssd’s to the NAS via 10gbe ?

Will it use the 10gbe max speed ?
Will I lose some sata ports and USB’s ?
Is it still bad platform for users like that ?

I can’t afford to buy better stuff because am going to buy threadripper for the NAS ( old cheap 1920x)

And amd X570 is similar situation ? Because it’s 24 Lanes total ? Also it’s very hard to find cheap 10gbe onboard in amd

Also adding a pcie card means sharing pcie lanes with nvme or the gpu :slight_smile:

Maybe the gpu won’t be an issue because it uses pcie 4.0 so 8x is enough
But nvme will be an issue Coz I buy the cheap pcie 3.0 to get big capacity for low price

Welcome back @FIDO - bit of a rambling post but I’d start here by reviewing the specs of the X570 chipset. Then view a block diagram and map out your needs and see where / if you’ll choke the board.

Just make sure your NAS / Server can actually move data at 10Gbe speeds. There are physical limitations at play - spindle speeds, drive bandwidth, overhead for RAID, etc.

it wont be over kill. but Raid 0 2 Sata SSD’s

Cluster A ( 2 sata SSD’s raid 0)
Cluster B (2 sata SSD’s Raid 0)
Cluster C (bunch of hardisks for huge capacity
And D ( nvme SSD 1 in the nas and 1 in the computer connected to the nas)

so if I want to move files from cluster A to the nas at the same time move some files from Cluster B to the nas , its done am already over 10GBE ?

if am not wrong regular Sata SSD’s in raid 0 can reach 800MBs~ :smiley:
also imagine if I will use Cluster D instead of B for example

so the 1.25GBs of the 10gigabit Lan is achievable.
and I think core i9 can handle it. not sure about threadripper 1920x/1950x on the nas side. as I think single threaded performance is what really do the work for transferring files right?

Finding it difficult to follow what you’re saying - sorry. Are clusters A, B, C and D not already the NAS?

If not mistaken, Intel 10th< had 16PCIe direct [say GPU], then any other PCIe lanes off the chipset
Intel 11th+ has 20 PCIe direct [allowing for GPU + 1 NVMe direct contact] + 4 off chipset

Likely your GPU will get cut to x8, when attaching an add-in 10GBE [lets say its x4 req], then having another x4 for secondary NVMe / other PCIe device
Do study your planned mainboard, for the SATA / PCIe dialogue, to assure your drives don’t get cutoff when divvying up them PCIe lanes

1 Like

all these clusters are in the Workstation/desktop. and want to transfer files to the NAS via the 10gbe Lan

so A b C D on my desktop
Cluster’s E F G H on the NAS
[Cluster E 2 sata ssd’s raid 0 , Cluster F 2 sata SSD’s raid 0 etc… similar setup to the desktop]

if i am going to transfer files
from A to E also at the same time from C to H

2 simultaneous transfers over the network
10gbe will hit 100%.

its not unheard of. and it is not even a headroom. its the minimum of what i will use it for

yes thats what i meant. English is not my first language XD
and for sure it is bad. so …i am sorry.

only difference with what you wrote is that I am buying a motherboard with build in 10Gbe :smiley: so how it will be shared?

on chipset ?

intel Lan 10gbe should be direct from z590 ?
asmedia and other 2nd party lan ports (built in motherboards) should use direct pcie from cpu or z590 lanes ? :smiley:
i want to avoid using an add-in card because i want to game and use my gpu 100% high fps gaming :smiley: hhhh and sometimes do work between matches or some transfers if possible etc…

here is the best I could do

my current storage + (2 more sata ssd’s not in the system because I cant plug enough Sata’s)

also I don’t have back up or any redundancy so I need to buy at least the same amount which is 3 Sata ssd’s + nvme + 5 hardisks. just to have back up then add more to expand storage because almost everything is full.

=.=! then the other photo shows how I might be using the systems and transfer files (Blue arrows might happen same time as red arrows) so… that would saturate the 4x pcie z590 does ?

Check the block diagrams.

the diagram he posted for amd

anyway i checked intel ones.

its showing the 2.5G come from z590 so its safe to assume same applies to other chip makers and even the intel 10gbe will do the same.

umm :confused: ok so x8 to z590 -4 will send to nvme = 4 remaining to the entire io/network

16 to gpu direct.

Perfect - and now you have your answer(s) @FIDO ?

If you want lots of lanes, look at the base AMD Threadripper Pro 3945WX CPU - you get a zillion lanes and the CPU is very competitively priced - unsure of your budget.

1-Out of budget
Because I am buying threadripper for the server
And I will buy the desktop/workstation i9/ryzen , so 2 purchases at the same time , can’t buy 2 threadrippers.

2- I game high fps on this machine
So I prefer to keep the workstation x570 or z590

3- my issue is x570 expensive to find 10gbe motherboard

So I investigate intel z590 if I can do what I want on it

Why? It’s a single user NAS so it’s not like it’ll have to work hard.

It’s not single user XD
Am the one who is just being selfish and wants to have fastest connection to it l

1- it will be plex ( heavy plex ) already have my plex ont my current 8700k machine and it’s slow.

2- it’s a back up for my small business and for my family

3- will rune something maybe freenas + other OS for plex

Yes I want to access it out of the house too

4- when it’s not transcoding I might throw at it some animations to render :smiley:
And I dabble sometimes into Ai

Which my current 1080 Ti struggles to process
So it’s one of the reasons I want RTX card

( will unlock my 1080 Ti transcoder and put it in the NAS )

Gotcha… cake and eat it too eh?

1 Like

My current computer does all this

1- I render on it
2- plex server
3- cloud storage for family
4- I game on it whenever I can sneak in XD
5- lab box :30yoadubs: what I can try to learn I try it on it

Even though I got a free 8GB ram i3 4th gen pc on the side , but it’s reserved for Ubuntu as I love learning Linux on it

But still scared to make my future threadripper server Linux

Familiar with bugs and fixes on windows :3 but can’t fix Linux stuff yet

2.5 is the typical bigger LAN support [some boards will accommodate a 2nd 1GbE port]

Lets guarantee some PCIe lanes used
4 for Boot NVMe, 4 for a 10GbE card [if on CPU PCIe slot], 8 for GPU [CPU PCIe slot 1]

How many direct drives, are you looking to run? [SATA and/or NVMe alike]
I’d study the manuals of any boards, that have currently caught your eye, in seeing how the PCIe / SATA dialogue comes to play with various occupations. Some of these manuals, may have a PCIe slot / source dictation image

I’ll make some short theoretical examples of port-loss stipulations:
Using an NVMe disables an adjacent x4 slot
Having 2 NVMes will disable an adjacent x4 slot along with 4of8 selected SATA ports
1NVMe + 1 SATA M.2, will disable an adjacent x4 slot along with a particular SATA port
2 SATA M.2s + a PCIe x4 device, disables an available U.2 Port and 2 particular SATA ports

Well …. 8 lanes pcie 4.0 should be fine for 3080 Ti

So worst case I can buy add in card 10Gbe but I try to use a cheaper route so the Z590 motherboards with 10gbe built in are good value , way cheaper than X570 and cheaper than buying Z590 1gbps motherboard then add a card to it.

About how many drives , this is a big problem as I don’t know what to do.

Right now I posted up a screenshot of my current storage situation , I need to duplicate that to make a NAS. Then that is the absolute minimum we talking that I have no free drives to store more data.

So now I have 5 hardisks and 1 sata and 1 nvme + ( extra ssd’s that is full and can’t plug them to motherboard )

So a motherboard with 8 sata connections is a must. Then I can either swap drives for bigger ones or buy add in card for more sata ports

If I will buy add in card for more sata ports that will make the gpu run 8X pcie 4.0

So layout will be like this

Built in 10gbe motherboard:
GPU X8 4.0
Chipset X8 3.0 = [ x4 nvme + X4 All iO ]

:slight_smile: so again for future proofing which is not much a far future it’s more like few months I will need to be able to know how x4 pcie can handle it.

3 sata ssd’s already in my current pc
5 hardisks already in my current pc
1 nvme already in my current pc

So I will add 1 more sata SSd

Then that will be maxing the hoard sata and can’t even store anymore data because all disks are full , which means I have to start swapping them for bigger ones = expensive

Or I add pcie card to get more sata

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.