YouTube gave Louis Rossmann 3 STRIKES in a row for talking about his (and other) YouTube alternative app

Sauce:

Remember when Apple sent C&D letters to him and everyone was afraid of him loosing his channel, so there were heros backing up all his videos and torrenting them to preserve them.

Do I really think he’ll loose it?
No.

But it wouldn’t surprise me if he starts to try to move away from YT.

Go Download the app here

6 Likes

F.Y.I. he just posted a new video, so his channel should be there still. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MirpRkmruOg (not related to topic, simply a timestamp of when he was last seen)

1 Like

Youtube is managed by feds, or might as well be. I still have a strike on my channel over a video deleted well over a year ago, because I refuse to humor their copyright class bureaucracy horse shit. Fuck John Oliver and HBO by the way.

2 Likes

Is he not trying to promote a app that bypasses ads? If so just pay for premium.

1 Like

I don’t see that listed in the community guidelines. Nothing wrong with that.

1 Like

That is why vanced was cancelled. I mean like linus says it is pirating content. Youtube has to make money one way or another. Why do you think photobucket is closing buckets? It is because it is not profitable in anyway. Free is not actually free.

1 Like

again, read above.

1 Like

I did. Idk whether it is or not.

I’m sure it will soon be there, dont worry :slightly_smiling_face:

You offer a service. The service is popular and grows over time to the point of becoming an institution. Then you start throwing ads into that service, because you ran it at a loss since day one to override competition. Often, the ads are numerous and longer than the actual view time on the service. You then tell people that they can get rid of the annoyance by paying them. They change their ToS to block mention of any viable competition. And, oh by the way, if you use an ad blocker, we’ll ban you.

Why would I pay to remove an obstacle that was deliberately placed there?

4 Likes

I am just saying. All these “free” services end up dying or evolving. Look at photobucket. Look at dropbox.

4 Likes

I’d have to concur. Everything to run these services costs money whether you like it or not. You have to pay for infrastructure, hosting, employees, offices, etc and none of that is cheap. If ad’s are getting to be to much then do something else. Not like you can’t get get a book, play a video game, etc.

4 Likes

I tend to be of a similar mindset. As a consumer, my options for any free product are use it or not. I don’t, and shouldn’t, have any control over how that product changes over time because a) I’m not paying for it and b) I don’t own the damn thing.

They can change whatever they want about their service, and your still have exactly the same two options as when you started. The “it used to be like this and they changed it HOW DARE THEY” attitude is completely ridiculous.

2 Likes

Yeah these stupid ‘terms of service’ things can be unilaterally changed to say anything they want at any time. So all these terms of service might as well just say:

To use this website you have to do everything we want you to do, no matter what it is, the second we think of it. You have no rights or expectation of privacy using this website, all rights are reserved by Us, unless we allow you to feel like you have some of these things (but you really won’t).

At least then it’d be more honest.

4 Likes

it usually says “subject to change without notice” somewhere in the tos/eula/whatever… that is plenty honest enough, it tells you that the contract you “sign” isn’t the one they are going to use against you

1 Like

I know… These tech corporations are just a giant monopoly/trust these days, and either you follow whatever rules they decide, or you live like a cave man.

I look forward to when/if they come up with a desktop compatible version. An android only app is exactly what I can’t use.

edit That said…

https://nitter.net/FUTO_Tech/status/1715543300239708326

Because we want to put creators first, we’re also going to allow creators to opt out of having their videos visible to Grayjay users.

When the opt-out feature is implemented (soon), if you don’t want your videos on Grayjay, that is entirely your decision and we will respect it.

This could be a potential problem that degrades the whole point of using such an app if even a single creator you want to follow opts out. Hopefully not, but creators aren’t really reliable when it comes to not having unhinged ideas what an audience should be forced to do. We’ll see. :\