YouTube experiments with thumbnails

Today youtube announced they are running experiments on custom thumbnails

“We are running a small experiment where 0.3% of viewers will see an auto-generated thumbnail, instead of your custom thumbnail. We are not removing the ability to create your custom thumbnail, but we hope to gain insights on auto-generated thumbnails for the future.”

> thing that works fine exists
> youtube: “let’s fuck it up”

6 Likes

So they are going back 10 years basically?
Back then that was all that existed lol.

Wonder what kind of insight they hope to gain… and how they’re going to measure it tbh.

Automated thumbnails for false title reuploader pieces of shit :man_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes

I do have a pet peeve when the thumbnail is no where to be found in the video and doesn’t represent what’s in the video.

Removing custom thumbnails is by no means the solution but meh. I wouldn’t mind creators that do click baity things getting some negative feedback though.

Ahh me too. I wanted to see boobs damn it!

5 Likes

That sounds not too bad. When a channel gets their videos flagged for spam/misleading title or thumbnail, they get auto generated thumbnails instead. I could get behind that.

Or generally until they have a certain amount of subscribers (I actually thought it was already like that?). But this experiment seems to be for random channels :confused:

1 Like

YouTube beeing shit (again)

2 Likes

If there was a proper alternative… But nothing that popped up so far seems to cut it.

I’m wonder if they are improving the autothumbnail system so that it doesn’t just show random intervals of videos.

If they provide a thumbnail editor in you tube, this can be a good feature! but instead of that, they are thinking to disable the custom thumbnail!

If I could just get that damn ignore button instead of any of this :smiley:

2 Likes

I think MKBHD gives a good suggestion for future tests

Lets hope this means now more Arrows and shock face thumbnails from shitty creators :smiley: