Your thoughts on the Epic Store

Amen

3 Likes

I started using Epic Store when Dangerous Driving launched, i wanted to play the game so bad that i gave in.
After i played the game i kinda forgot about it, left it installed and moved on, until i got my The Outer Worlds key from AMD, which was for the Epic Store.
I don’t like it but i also don’t mind it, it also can’t be compared to Steam, so its not as “good” as Uplay but not as bad as Origin, however its very basic.
After GOG launched their Galaxy 2.0 launcher i mind it even less, since i don’t have to open it to play something i want from there.
The politics of Epic? I couldn’t care less myself, its not something i think i should spend time thinking about.

That was a hard one to swallow for me. I regularly played with the Devs on Burnout paradise and have huge respect for them and continued supporting Three Fields Entertainment after they took off on their own, they were doing really well but then went epic…

I emailed them about it expressing my concern and wish for it to be on another store, also worried because they are going the same route they did with criterion which ended up with them being gutted by EA, now it might happen again with Epic and I don’t want that to happen twice after the trouble they had with EA.

But they sealed their contracts and sold out again so I will not support or encourage that. I will wait till it is available else where, having expressed that interest to them, if not then that is the end of them for me.

1 Like

Unfortunately so, that is a very talented team, Dangerous Driving is not a masterpiece but its very good game considering its only a small team behind it, it serves as a tech demo of what’s to come if they can get a good funding.
This thing with Epic, yeah, it perhaps wasn’t their very best idea.

1 Like

And that is exactly what they are doing. The motivation behind it doesn’t matter, it’s their decision to take the exclusivity deal, noone is forcing them.

And besides: that is also a point that is somehow completely OK for Steam, but not for Epic. I can go into a retail store and buy a physical copy of a game with the game files on DVD, and still I need a Steam account and need to register there. But that is still somehow OK. Anyone care to explain why this is OK? Because that is exclusivity too.

And also a topic that was on Discord a while ago. Who’s to say Steam wasn’t doing the same for years? We don’t know, and we probably never will. But it’s still possible, considering how many exclusives Steam had over the years.

I’m not suggesting that they currently can’t, I was just getting in before the authoritarians jumped on me and assumed my opinions should be law.

Developers can do what they like, epic and steam can do what they like too. But as a customer I don’t have to like it.

1 Like

Did not say that either :wink:
If it wasn’t clear: I’m not liking what steam does either :smiley:

My personal reasons for not using it was the same reason Netflix used to be good…
A one place shop for games convenient and 8/10 times prices I could agree now that origin ubi epic bliz and the like are here it’s like Hulu d+ Apv I don’t want to have a million accounts to play my games. I don’t want to have to wait for games cause one platform paid more over the other one of the reasons i left console Gaming. It’s annoying and pushes me back to yarhar. As a consumer it’s making me want to play games less and less I’m not gonna make a ubi account not gonna make a origin or epic accounts I’m not going to be playing games unless the game is cheap (3 years later 60%) and on steam. I care not for the privacy as it’s answered up top… Use a online store at all you get that. It’s more steam made it so I didn’t feel like I had to yarhar the entire online community was there and it was simple and cheap. Once " competition " showed up it was a jump platform to play x game and again and again it was infuriating. And made me look up ways to remove that. I’m done installing a bunch of launchers and only want one for all games fuck these “stores”

1 Like

Somehow you forgot to mention that Tencent owns a significant portion of EGS.

When you purchase EGS, you can say you are indirectly supporting the Great Firewall of China as Tencent is one of its administrators.

3 Likes

If that is your logic then you are not allowed to buy anything ever.
Money is in banks, banks make money from funds, funds are typically at least partially based on the war industry.
So, you buy an apple you commit a war crime.

Don’t get me wrong, I see what you’re saying, but it’s not quite that simple.

I still will unlikely use it or ever have it installed.

This is now purely out of personal preference not to use it, before I’ve had concerns, but most of them have been debunked, now I just don’t use it as a preference. It has not impacted how I play games in anyways.

My brother also refuses to use epic out of personal preference and is eagerly waiting for metro to come out on steam, he is a patient person and he feels like he isn’t really missing out on much. Although his friend group are mostly Nintendo Switch gamers, so the releases on that aren’t in a weird shit show like Epic vs. Steam.

2 Likes

I get the free games but my friends and I are in the same boat, will not be buying anything from them until they can stop the exclusive game crap. I quit bothering with console gaming because of stuff like that, too much of a pain needing 3+ consoles so I just stick to PC and where ever Pokémon goes. Though Pokémon seems like I won’t really following much longer since I don’t like the “got catch em all” turning into “got to catch almost half of them”. Mostly if they quit the game exclusives for 3-5 years then I would probably use them but they brought most of the reason I left modern console gaming into PC gaming. Just as a store I don’t see any problem with them.

1 Like

I don’t have any sympathy for any corporation, my point is that as a customer I don’t see any benefit to the type of competition that epic offers. The kind of competition that I would like to see is competing on price, features, customer service (surely anyone can provide better customer service than steam), download speed, things like that. Competing on exclusives doesn’t make sense on PC because the hardware is the same for all the platforms, because there are thousands of other games people could play and frankly because people can just pirate the games anyway.

They’re competing with steam for the developers, not the customers and as a customer I have no reason to use epic. If I want to buy a game and I have a choice on which service I want to use to do that then I might choose epic if it was cheaper or I’d choose gog because of no drm or I’d choose steam for some other feature that they offer. Right now all epic has is some games that I can’t get anywhere else, but so does Sony and Microsoft.

So I choose to boycott epic because I’d like to see a better service from them or someone else, and because I can live without what they have to offer. I don’t boycott steam because they haven’t done anything particularly egregious to me. Sure I’d like to see improvements but so far steam hasn’t bought out any developers who have then spat in the face of their customers.

5 Likes

Thanks for all those replies and for all the input I got. I didn’t expect that many respones :slight_smile:

@Automobili3XF GOG Galaxy has Epic already included? That’s cool. (I know that it still needs to be installed, but I thought Epic was still missing)

Yep, it does! Been using it for a while

In relation to your statement I discovered these two articles:

Thanks for pointing it out :wink:

@Automobili3XF Nice!

3 Likes

is that suggesting the userdata within the EGS / EGS site/servers is freely available to China (a requirement for Chinese companies;)
Or that computers which have the launcher are free to be pilfered at any time?
Because I suspect the former is the case, but doubt the second?

You mean the second post? If you read it, neither.

People are suggesting China sees everything but that’s just not how a 40% share in a company works. They would have to hold a majority share to “force” Epic to do this.
Not mention as pointed out in the first post, Tencent has plenty of shares in other companies.

Exactly, so from a privacy standpoint Steam and Epic are very much alike.

Only issue I have is privacy concerns but considering anti-cheat software at times can be as bad as malware, its not a huge issue. I would love to see more platforms not less as steam is not the shining star it use to be.