Yeahhh 3 fresh intel security holes

Ohh. Nvm then. lol

1 Like

Have AWS prices already adjusted? How does that work?

Not sure, but we’re anticipating a pricing adjustment.

We’ve run the numbers on our small DC at corporate HQ, Xeon v3’s in there. Hit damn hard.

1 Like

For all the wrong place wrong time Vega was, Ryzen sure is right place right time. Now that EPYC has proven it works and is not going anywhere it has to be gaining traction, especially after one vulnerability after another on another.

Oh terrific. I was getting bored.

Yeah but not the reason you think.

They’re being re-designed to add new holes for the NSA that people don’t know about yet.

edit:
But HEY WE HAVE A 15% err 10% err 5% err… ALMOST THE SAME IPC AND HIGHER CLOCKS THAN AMD!!

3 Likes

Vega is great at low core count, lower clock in mobile.
On desktop, Vega is memory constrained and some of the features aren’t enabled.

I’d really love to see a new rev of Vega with new higher speed HBM and the features turned on. I reckon a Vega 7nm with the 4 stacks of HBM would be great.

Gotta love the name though, L1T…F

Yeah that is a coincidental giggle.

which Intel has dubbed its L1 Terminal Fault (L1TF)

But this part is kind of amazing.

It should be noted that on cloud platforms running multiple customer-supplied virtual machines, these guest operating systems must be patched – otherwise, they can exploit the underlying host hardware they share to steal information from neighboring VMs.

So are cloud services going to have to force users to update. I imagine there are some old VM’s out there. Or do they just need to patch the underlying VM software, would this still interrupt running temporarily?

1 Like

Well some early testing shows that mitigation does give some serious impact on certain workloads but a lot of them didn’t change much.

https://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=26710

All this has me feeling a “Foreshadow” coming on.

It’s 2020 and Intel scrambling for good publicity; releases a new “super secure” series of Xeon CPU’s with the moniker IronClad (as opposed to silver/gold) that among other little details has ditched HyperThreading completely. Think 32 cores / 32 threads.

And cool young rapper EPYC rides up alongside with a brand new 32 cores / 128 threads vehicle. - 'sup bro?

The official message coming out of Santa Clara, CA is that the bug is admittedly serious but isn’t aware of any real-world attacks using the exploit. Intel does detail how the bug could be used maliciously.

Malicious applications, which may be able to retrieve data in the operating system memory.
A malicious guest virtual machine (VM) may infer data in the VM’s memory.
Malicious software running outside of SMM may infer data in SMM memory.
Malicious software may infer data from within another Intel SGX enclave.

Yeah, it’s the same as the other ones, anyone executing supposedly unprivileged code on the chip can read any memory they want.

It’s still not clear if we have to turn off HT.

Well, turning off SMT is one way to be safe.

It’s definitely an option, and depending on the workload, you’re not going to see much of a performance hit, but it’s definitely not ideal.

1 Like

“Depending on the workload” is pretty key there. If you’re heavily subscribed, and who the F isn’t, VMware themselves say 30%!

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/55767

I am really waiting for official names to be:

FFSReally
JNA (Jesus Not Again)
BH (Bloody Hell)
VYANA (Vulnerability You Are Not Alone)
SWAT (So We found Another Thing)
WTIM (Wait! There Is More!)

1 Like

Hold on, is this 30% on top of the initial 30% we took in January?

So, that means we’ve potentially taken nearly a 50% hit in performance?

RIP

1 Like

So here is a question, how many more hits before AWS starts getting heat for an AMD solution? And if people are flat out told no it may make their own small datacenter or colo appealing and or/financially possible.

TBH this is just one of those everyone wants to bring down goliath.
Dont get me wrong i dislike Intel as much as the next guy, but as long as Intel keeps being 90% bussiness 10 what the consumer want’s, and a billion trillion dollahs company, they’re going to be the target, mainly because they piss off the mindset of hackers, and “researchers”.
If the target shifted to AMD and thousands of “researchers” hammered their product daily, offcourse someone’s going to find security errors, and mistakes.
The way i see it most these offsprings of spectre and meltdown are mainly just there to kick the allready dead horse, and a ticket to fame.

3 Likes

Or they are they target because the more you dig the more flaws you find.