Xtra-PC "The 25$ Computer" It's a Live OS USB drive

https://www.xtra-pc.com/

Essentially a Live OS USB for $25

Questions arise here, they state outright that they include GPL licensed software, which going by

https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-2.0.html#SEC3

"You may charge a fee for the physical act of transferring a copy, and you may at your option offer warranty protection in exchange for a fee. "

Is fine i guess, still kinda not cool, but I'm wondering what kind of OS this thing runs, the source code can be requested here as well as the licensing info

-
-
Anyone know anything about these guys or what's on it?

Of course this kind of stuff could easily be done with Mint/Ubuntu and probably others, just wonder how they're packaging it all up I suppose, or if they're breaching licensing agreements by bundling so much free software together and selling it

1 Like

Looks like they are selling the hardware (usb drive) which is legal.
I'm guessing LXLE or some other lite distro

Don't do it XD
what @anon85933304 says probably just an USB device.
rather pay 35 dollar for a Raspberry PI and just get a decent cheap pc and get rid of that old junk pc.

i post this here. An app to start Linux from you're android based device.
(it has to have root access)

My guess is they basically charge 10x for a crap stick and say the software is free. ... Yay?!

1 Like

The strange thing to me about this would be trying to explain navigating the BIOS/UEFI to the target audience of a prepackaged live USB in addition to disabling secure boot on their computers.

I think this could even go into the false marketing category. That's not a PC but just a USB stick with a Linux distro loaded on. I would've never opened a link to see what that is a listen to two dumb videos to understand that.

Yup, it's a scam. Thing is if you name it "Xtra-PC" that is legally not a statement that you are buying a complete computer. And the video says "takes your old computer and makes it like new" ..... a very trump thing to say, so it will probably sell fucktons of units.

1 Like

Looks like a rip off.

They offer a 30 day refund if you are not happy.

It's just going to be a common distro with a theme. Nothing wrong with what they are doing, but I expect the failure rate will be high, due to the usual driver issue or BIOS/UEFI issues. But at $25 I bet a lot of them get sold, barely or never get used and only a small number of people seek a refund.