XMP ram profiles: just a commercial BS?

I mean I have seen a set of ram that refuses to run its XMP, it was in my bothers PC, but it was also second hand, and had been half way round the world so who know how rough that trip was.

Every new set has done what it is supposed to, even on the old FX bulldozer that didn’t have XMP, just putting the settings in manual as they would be worked fine too.

That is very suspect of something else being wrong, there is no way anyone is that unlucky to go though that many sets and all be bad.

XMP is generally tested on intel if i’m not mistaken so if you’re trying to run it on amd without AMD certified RAM your mileage may vary as it depends on board layout, memory controller, etc.

not saying it always won’t work, but if it isn’t AMD certified those speeds were using an intel memory controller so will need to be tweaked.

my personal experience with XMP on intel is zero issues, and no working XMP on ryzen without tweaks. but none of my sticks are AMD certified.

1 Like

i mean there’s your problem.

first gen ryzen (renowned for weak memory controller), 1700 is basically a lesser binned 1800x, and a first gen board (less good memory topology).

later ryzen boards and cpus are much less hassle.

what you’re seeing is that your ram may be rated for those speeds but the rest of the components are going to need help to get close.

OP has a point. On my 1950x Threadripper build I bought 32GB of the 3600 RAM on the QVL for my ASUS mobo. I was never able to get it to run at speed. Worked with ASUS and Corsair techs checking everything out. Each stick individually could hit 3600, but not with all four installed. RMA’d my mobo and same issue on the new one. Last BIOS update let me run it at 3200 and that’s the best I’ve ever been able to achieve with stability.

if they all are stable individually that means the memory controller on the CPU can’t handle all those channels and ranks at that speed, which is very likely for a 1950X, first gen ryzen had trouble running above 3200 even thread ripper, his cpu however is a 5800X which should have a more than capable memory controller

5 Likes

While you are correct, I had the specific QVL RAM for that Threadripper Mobo that had been rated for 3200. Two MoBo acted identically so I’d have to say ASUS either had a bad batch of controllers or they overstated capabilities. I’ve never been able to achieve the stated 3600 with all four DIMMS installed.

Your memory controller these days is on the cpu which isn’t ASUSs problem.

As above my experience with xmp on amd is that it generally doesn’t work with dual rank DIMMs. Which are the only type I buy because capacity. I can get close ish but not rated speed on AMD.

on previous intel systems it was simply a case of turn on xmp in bios and have at it.

Also with amd make sure your bios raised ram voltage appropriately. JDEC is 1.2v for ddr4 and selecting an XMP profile in most of the am4 boards I have did not raise ram voltage to 1.35v which is where most xmp ratings are set at.

But again. If you’re on am4 or threadripper take xmp with a bunch of salt. If you’re running 2 sticks per channel or dual rank sticks getting them running at full speed is difficult.

Even if they’re amd certified check your motherboards QVL and pay attention to bios version, ram voltage and cpu generation required.

To be fair, I also experienced this on an MSI B660M-A with a 12100f. Everything worked fine once I bumped up voltage to 1.35v.

1 Like

Both gigabyte x570 and b550 am4 boards I have here did not raise voltage by themselves without me manually setting it (despite selecting XMP). I can’t remember if my x470 Taichi did or not.

This guide may also help.

Bear in mind XMP is basically an overclock, any guarantees don’t apply, etc.

As mentioned above several times, Ryzen based platforms are trickier than intel as XMP profiles are based on intel memory controllers (XMP is an intel initiative) which are different. Earlier Zen based platforms (both CPUs and boards) have more issues than newer, but even my 5900X on an X570S board struggles beyond DDR4-3200 dual-rank (on XMP certified DDR4-3600 modules) without more tweaking than I’ve put in so far.

Dual rank DIMMs or two DIMMs per channel make it harder on the memory controller. You can’t just buy say, 2x DDR4-3600 kits and run them together an expect DDR4-3600 for example. Especially if they’re different dies on the modules.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.