XMP profile not working - unable to manually change ram speed either - solved

Just noticed that xmp profile has stopped working whilst checking cpuz a week or two ago - so tried 1.15 soc voltage - 1.35 dram voltage - and manually setting 2400/2666/2800/2933/3200 and every time it just loads up default 2133 jedec speed - unusual that setting manually has no effect on changing dram speed - tried XMP 2933 and 3200 and numerous other settings and still no good - have image of bios default settings with XMP enables and CPUZ at latest version - at a loss - was running at 3200 before - then noticed few weeks ago that now at 2133 - temps are fine - has loads of airflow - in corsair 570x case and ram only running at 30c.

bios is latest version - was happening on old bios and newest bios - also cleared cmos and same happened.

annoying - but its always been 100 % stable - no crashes!!

any help welcome and thanks

regards and thankscpuz page 1 cpuz page 2 ![cpu z page 3|399x402]cpuz page 4

MSI motherboard I assume? What’s the specific model?

UnPlug Power Cord --> Reset cmos jumper (and remove battery for 3 minutes then reisntall).
Enter Uefi then Enter f5 then F10.
Run SYSTEM composed of:
PowerSupply+Mobo+CPU+DDR4+VGA+Keyboard+PC PWSwitch+PWLed+Internal Speaker
Apply your XMP profiles and configurations you know that have worked before.
(no PCIe devices or even front panel USB headers attached)

a. booting with 1 stick in A1 DIMM slot and test each module separately.
b. check ram in another system (either a friend or local pc shoppe)
c. check CPU in another system ("")
d. check mobo with other known good components

Lastly Zen+ is rated for 2933 officially, anything further is overclocking. My 2700x IMC does 3400mhz… (though at times I dial it back down to 3200 due to cold start issues) I presume I am buring the midnight oil on the overall health of the memory controller. I sincerely hope yours is not shot…only way to find out is getting a second opinion after troubleshooting. Good Luck.

1 Like

its a b450 msi (as you deduced) gaming pro carbon wifi - and was working - will try tomorrow evening - night here and long day in urgent care tomorrow - thanks for advice

so update - re-flashed bios again - reset cmos jumper - removed battery etc - tried one stick and xmp 3200 is now working - rebooted with 2 stocks in and also xmp now working - cpuz confirming 1600mhz dram rate with correct timings - yay!! thanks for help all

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.