Xeon Platinum 8124M build and testing

You ordered an Qualification Sample. I don’t really like that as it limits mobo options. Not that being an off-roadmap chip doesn’t, but I don’t want to double down on the odds.

It’s es that limits. Qs is same electrical as retail just labeled different on the ihs. And I got my fist pair before it went to eBay technically :smiley:

The recycler paid wayyyyyyy less for these than 500… Haha

Ah ok, thanks for that clarification.
Makes life easier.

Yeah, I can imagine what kind of crazy pricing the recycler got.
Almost glad it’s not cheaper as my lab power bill would most certainly increase drastically lol.

1 Like

Hi

which mobo are you using with this processor?

The gigabyte rack server I reviewed

I was looking at the exact same Gigabyte R181 server in the video since we know that Mobo supports the CPU. How loud is it?

I would imagine pretty loud given the size of it, are you trying to put it in an office?, you might be able to get it a bit quiter with fan swap but how quiet do you need?

dam, I am talking to god itself. Didn’t realize it earlier.

Any cheap refurb/used alternative to gigabyte one.

I was really curious about the 240W TDP the 8124M has. When I look at the CPU compatibility list for 1U servers from Gigabyte and even the Dell R640 I can only see published support for up to 205W TDP CPUs. Was concerned the limited of the heat sinks in the R181 is for 205W.

Has anyone tested these under load with the 8124M on the gigabyte R181? Was the temps and clock speed ok?

I asked @wendell about the 205W limit and he said it didn’t matter that the cpu’s are 240W and the board is 205. I ordered Noctua NH-D9 DX-3647’s since this is going into a 4U case so I got the room. Kinda weirded me out mounting the CPU’s to the cooler THEN to the board. These cost about twice as much as the dynatron blowatrons or the same from supermicro, this thing is going to be sitting in the closet next to me so noise is a bit of an issue.

I went with a supermicro X11DPH-T there were some indications it worked with these.
I got the CPU’s installed on the board and it doesn’t post. When I look at the BMC via the IPMI interface it shows Processor: Intel® Xeon® Silver 4108 CPU @ 1.80GHz.
apparently this is the default in the BMC when it can’t determine the CPU or if it isn’t installed.
With one CPU and 1 DIMM I still don’t get any post and the BMC still says there are two CPU’s and two sticks of RAM.

I flashed the bios up to the latest available. No Joy.
I downgraded to the lowest I could find which was 2.1 from 3.3 still no joy.

I can’t find any bios older than 2.1 to test out. If anyone has or knows where to get like 2.0b or earlier I’ll give it a go.

I’ve ordered a Asrock Rack EP2C621D16-4LP which is reported to work. I’ll post back if I have any luck this weekend.

Hi,

I have also ordered AsRock Rack EP2C621D16-4LP along with 8124M. Processor supplier told that 8124 will work without any issue on this board. It will take 2-3 week for it to get delivered. I’ll update here as well.

Do you know any good DDR4 ram supplier in US or China? 2666Mhz is pretty expensive here in India.

Ok,

I think this board is officially off the list.
I managed to find an archive search for drunkencat- dot-net SupermicroBIOS of all the bios’es back to 1.0. I down graded all the way back to 1.0 stepping through 2.1, 2.0b, 2.0a, and 2.0 then finally 1.0 pulling the bios battery between each run. With one CPU in CPU 1 socket and 1 RDIMM in the A1 position.

No post on any of them.

I don’t know what else I can do other than trying to mod the bios which is outside my skill set.

If anyone would like me to try something else I’m open to suggestions.

Are these qs or non qs chips? Or es?

It shoulddddd work with that board? I can try them in my board if you want?

The power thing just means that they run within the board power envelope. Isn’t a huge deal. Mine seem to be 3 5 ghz all core with unlocked power otherwise the clocks bounce around a bit

Listing says QS in the listing . CPU has 8124M on it and S-Spec SRD1Y CPU-World has them listed as non-es/qs for what that is worth.

I’ll have the AsRock board tomorrow at some point and will post up here.

Kind of a bummer, my whole home lab is on supermicro boards makes managing them super easy.

I may pick up a non QS or ES LGA3647 for validation, I haven’t decided yet, this board was new in box so I doubt it is the board.

I am using a Corsair RM850i to power it.

I was toying with picking up CPU’s that folks on STH have confirmed to work with this board maybe lower frequency but more cores for a higher density box mainly for automated QA testing right now I’m spread across two boxes to spin up 40 windows 10 VM’s.

Well,

the EP2C621D16-4LP works like a champ sees all my 192GB of Micron RDIMM’s CPU-Z reports them properly got a single core score of 403.7 and a multi-processor score of 17850

Compared to my dual E5-2697-V2 of 310 single core 8945 all core

My Ryzen 3700x desktop does a 461 single core and 5036 all core

So,
now what do I do with the SuperMicro board…

Alright,

I’ve got windows 10 1904(?) running on it. Prime95 caps out the wattage at 249ish. all CPU load with hyper-threading speed is 2.85~GHz. One CPU is running about 8 degrees C hotter than the other.

I’m gonna let it cook for a while and maybe reapply thermal paste on the hotter one and see if that makes a difference before mounting it in it’s final home.

1 Like

Ok,

I’ve had several crashes. Generally under 30 minutes of full load. All of them have VCORE dropping down to .08 to .05 six times on CPU1 and twice on CPU2.

BMC doesn’t crash so I have the logs on the crash in the BMC.
Only happens when running Prime95 under short MAXIMUM cpu load.

I don’t have another power supply that I trust so I guess I’m ordering a new one.

Well, I disabled AVX-512 workload in prime95 and things have been ticking along for over an hour and is pretty much floating around 3.25Ghz all core.
Temps are about 3c lower, also cpu watts stays under the max of 240w and doesn’t peak above that unlike previous runs where I would see peaks at 250w.
reapplying thermal paste to cpu1 lowered temps 3c on that one too.
so, cpu1 is around 5c within cpu2 instead of 8 to 9c.

I’ll keep punching it and see what happens.

OK!

@wendell told me to get some air on the VRM’s and it worked like a charm.
10+ hours no crashing with AVX-512 enabled.

1 Like

If you can manage great cpu and vrm cooling 3.4ghz ish all core should be long term stable on these CPUs. Incredible clocks for 3647tbh

Under 70c is ideal for these xeons iirc

2 Likes