Xeon E5 2650L RAM Compatibility

Hey Guys,

I´m a newbie when it comes to servers and enterprise stuff, but I am very interessted in this topic. I already use an ASRock J4105B as a ProxMox server but I need to upgrade this machine now.

The decision was made to use old socket 2011 with a cheap chinese board, as shown by Craft Compunting.

Recently I got my hands on a E5 2650L for just $11 and now I need the adequat RAM.

After reading dozents of posts I still don´t know if this Processor will support 4* 16GB 4Rx4 modules.

Could you pls help a young fellow?

Thank you!

Greetings
generalofgermany

You are going to have a bit of a crap shoot probably on compatibility

Hmm. Probably yes, but will the CPU support the RAM at all?

did you get the 2650L, or the V2

The Sandy-Bridge 2650L (V1)

This ist the MB:

Qiyida X79 M6 motherboard LGA2011 (cannot post link)

I leveled you up try posting link now

Oh thank u!

you can use 16GB modules but you need to use Registered ECC dimms

1 Like

Thank u very much!

How did u find out?

I saw, that 64gb are supported, but could not find any information about the Ranks.

My current experience is very limited. I just worked with normal Desktop Ram and never cared about Ranks and With

16GB Registed is a fairly low capacity for Registered ram, REG ram allows you to have massive capcities without having to worry about ranks too much, so even if ranks were a problem it shouldn’t be for that size as long as its registered

now before you go buy ram and a motherboard I would like to point out that a 1200 is only 50$

1 Like

Also probably more power efficient and has an actual upgrade path

Yes. You are definitively right, but the ddr3 ecc is so cheap in germany.

It is very tempting

right, its first gen, one of the lowest in the stack, twice the single core IPC and 3 times the multicore performance, you can upgrade later on to 2 or 3 gens higher and many teirs above it

Do you actually need ECC tho? and you can get unbuffered ECC for not to crazy of price

Not sure, if I need it that much, but I want to have the Option for the Enterprise technologies.

64GB can be bought for under $30 here.

So, do Ranks only matter for UDIMMs?

no they matter for all ram, but in this case not so much

I dont know of any that require ECC

Okay. Thank u.

I will read a bit more and try to understand better, but the both of u were really helpfull.

Thanks a lot!