X99 Chipset platform no longer supported? (Solved)

Newest chipset drivers: Intel Chipset Device Software Version 10.1.18295.8201 WHQL - Page 2 - STATION-DRIVERS
ME: http://www.station-drivers.com/index.php/fr-ca/outils/Drivers/Intel/Management-Engine-Interface-(MEI)/Drivers/15.x/Intel-Management-Engine-Interface-(MEI-AMT)-Version-2117.15.0.2272-WHQL/lang,fr-ca/

You need to find out what drivers are missing, like ME, DPTF, etc by the PCI IDs and install them manually since Windows Update refuses to do so.
Station Drivers is the best source, IMO.
Oh, and Microsoft Update Catalog.

1 Like

Ok, so here’s my first update.

I stayed with Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC edition, because in all honestly it’s way less bloatware than Windows 10 Pro to begin with, but the most important reason was the fact that Windows update fetches and installs all the chipset drivers and I have full 3.1 usb support as well. And naturally the device manager looks as it should look. With no errors.

Replaced my faulty Intel SSD with this one.

And for now I had no issues.

I honestly believe I wont have anymore blue screens, or at least I hope I don’t. That would be the logical outcome after all.

I will live with the setup for a week or so, and I will report here with an update and hopefully a conclusion of this ordeal, so others in the future have something to reference to, in case the need arises.

Now as to all of you that have similar systems of the X99 platform, officially Intel has dropped support, Asus as well, but the support representative will try to assist you and not leave you bone dry. I am getting emails still, the issue is that their hands seem to be tied since Intel is not making drivers…yet.

Anyway, I will report back on this in a week.
Thank you all so much for helping me out here, and hitting with ideas on how to handle my issues. Much respect to all.

edit: Sadly I wont be having any data towards the state of 20H2 Edition, since I do not have the time to test it, and I do need my main drive for work. Sorry about that.

4 Likes

Then you installed Windows!

Glad it worked out for you. I own newer hardware, but I dislike components going to waste with a passion.

2 Likes

I am not going to lie, you brought a smile to my face as wide as my shame :smiley:

Jokes aside, thank you for the kind words, and for emphasizing on the sentiment of not letting old hardware go to waste.

I mean, I still have as a small NAS a core 2 duo, and yes it’s still going strong. The damn thing operates since 2006 if I am not mistaken. If it works, use it.

Am I going to update to newer hardware? Of course I am, but not now. in a couple of years for sure though.

2 Likes

Hardware being too power hungry for too little performance and being bad for the environmental sustainability, having too little performance at all to run a modern day operating system or simply something being broken, are the reasons when I bring something to the recycling center. The rest I always use for other projects, sell or gift away. It is luckily very rare that I have to throw something away that is still usable.

1 Like

Yes, these literally are my own thoughts on the subject as well. It’s like I am reading me here.

I find it extremely annoying having to part with something just because the manufacturer or the software vendor wants us to buy new ones and feed the machine with more disposable waste, and throw away money to what feels like a mute gesture in the end.

It’s one of the reasons (not the biggest one) that I love Linux so much. If I still had my 386, it would still run under a lightweight DE with no issues, and as for drivers…please…the answer is in the kernel.
/rant over

3 Likes

So the fix was to put in a new SSD AND install Win10 LTSC? Or was the fix just using Win10 LTSC?
Just curious as I still have an X99 platform although not a Xeon so probably not likely to run into this particular issue. Although X99 has always been problematic with USB port issues for me so you never know.

Yes, the new SSD though was because the old one was almost dead.

The LTSC was chosen because they are picking up the chipset drivers on windows update and make sure all the root ports, USB ports, and PCI slots are working correctly and to their maximum speed potential. The fact that the OS comes preset with a whole a lot less bloatware than W10 Pro is just an added bonus to me.

As I said before, it’s too early to say, but it feels like up to this point, that the blue screens were being caused by the failing SSD, and not the missing chipset drivers. Now that being said, I find it completely unacceptable that MS, Intel and Asus are not working together to keep the drivers of a 6 year old platform updated for what essentially is the same OS.

I will confirm if that was the cause of the blue screens though in a week or so, and I will report back here.

I hope you don’t run into my issue.

EDIT a week after:

Ok, a week has past, and I am happy to report the issue was indeed the failing SSD.

But being on the Enterprise LTSC Windows 10 edition, I am not in a position to report about the driver issue with Windows 10 Pro.

2 Likes