X79 ECC RDIMM Testing

Like Wendell, as he once mentioned on twitter, I use an Asus Rampage IV Gene with an Ivy Bridge xeon for a workstation. I’ve attempted to get ECC RDIMMS working with this board but I haven’t had much success. I’m curious if anybody else has tried this, either on the R4G or another x79 board, and had any success.

I’ve looked online for any testing people have done but haven’t seen anything more than speculation. I’d like to gather information on this thread about real testing to get an accurate idea of RDIMM support on x79.

Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but I’m pretty sure the X79 chipset does not support Registered Dimms; at most, ECC unbuffered. Looking around, at most, X79 boards support ECC but NOT Registered.

The C602 chipset does support registered dimms.

Can basically confirm this, on both a P9X79 and a GA-X79-UP4 with an E5-2670. Unbuffered ECC may work, but Registered ECC definitely does not. If there’s an X79 motherboard out there that would work with RDIMMs, it would be the P9X79/-E WS boards, but even then I’m not sure.

I recognize that it doesn’t list support, but I was curious about actual testing rather than just listed specification.

Thanks for the input. Hopefully someone with one of those boards could provide their experiences.

The reason I said what I did is because reading around, no one (AFAIK) has gotten registered dimms to work on x79, however, on C602, registered dimms always seem to work, even went not said to work in the datasheet.

I am one of the only people to have a C602 chipset in a consumer enthusiast grade motherboard, the Gigabyte X79S-UP5.

Pro tip: Xeons that support registered ECC memory have even worse IMCs than the 3960X which doesn’t support ECC.

I have a P9X79 WS/IPMI board and it does not support registered DIMMs, it is still X79. As a general rule, no consumer chipset support registered memory, only server grade chipsets.

RDIMM support is something that usually is mentioned in the motherboard specs and the memory QVL for the board.

2 Likes