X570 Motherboard recommendation for Linux

I am attempting to build a Ryzen 9 X5950 based workstation for Linux Blender and some light gaming. I intend to use an AMD X6900 XT GPU (if I can ever get my hands on one for around MSRP). I am looking for a motherboard recommendation. My priorities are

Top priorities

• Linux compatibility. I want the ethernet, storage device, and sound card to work out-of-the-box without having to muck around with dkms, out-of-tree, or proprietary drivers. I always run the latest kernel, so if it’s in there, or at least in development, that’s good with me.
  • Good VRM cooling / strong VRM. This machine will be rendering Blender scenes with maxed out CPU for days or even weeks on end. I would like to know the board is capable of keeping the CPU supplied without overheating itself.

Middling concerns

• Decent sound. I use relatively high-impedance headphones and I’d rather not use an external DAC, but if it it comes to it, I don’t really mind.
  • Fan controller, especially if it’s well supported with a Linux utility.
  • Flashback. If I can be assured the motherboard will support the X5950 out of the box, I don’t care about this. If there is question… well yeah it’d be good to have.

Non-priorities

• WiFi. I can take it or leave it.
  • RGB controller. I run my case closed with no window, so I don’t care.
  • Ethernet > 1Gbps. My switch is only 1Gbps, and I am unlikely to upgrade in the near future.
  • RAID controller. I make regular backups and drives die infrequently enough I really don’t care about being down long enough to run grab another out of my closet and restore. This is a non-issue for me.
  • Overclocking. I don’t really do it, it’s not worth the hassle to take my render from 5 days down to 4 days and 20 hours.
  • Management stuff (WoL, PXE, flash over ethernet, stuff like that)

Thank you for taking the time to read though this, please let me know if you have any success stories with any of the boards out there. I am currently eyeing the offering from Asus because I’ve had good experience with them in the past, but I’m not super brand-loyal, so whatever works.

Any form factor limitation(s)? Special cooler [AIO/ CLC] install planned? 570 or 550?
Wendell has reviewed a fair view mainboards, giving a moment specific to Linux usage

Thanks for the response @GoldenAngel1997. My case is a Fractal Define S, so full ATX should be fine. I haven’t selected a cooler yet, I was actually just in the process of researching that, but I’m leaning towards the Noctua NH-D15, if it will fit. I could see myself going closed-loop water though, since the Define S has a spot for a top-mounted radiator. I hadn’t decided to be honest, it just needs to keep up with the aforementioned days-long rendering without undue throttling.

Thank you for the pointer to Wendell’s mobo reviews, I’ll start on those once I select a cooler (any recommendations, lessons-learned, or knowledge from experience on that front would also be quite welcome!).

Since you do have concern for boards sub-component thermals, about having these prolonged blender runs, perhaps look into the C14S, for one easy assurance measure [ guaranteed downwards airflow]. Natively has 1 140mm fan, but could accommodate a 2nd one [memory clearance would get restricted a bit, if your RAM choices involve tall HSs]. Wouldn’t likely be bigg baller spec’d, compared to the D15, but idea is looking at a more controlled long game… It is still a U N I T, for presentation

My personal experience. I have 2 of these HSs. 1 rig been running a lil’ while
Core i7 7800.
Did swap the Noctua fan, for an EK Vardar [for bit more aggressive low-max rpm span]
It definitely eager, to kicking out that heat. Runs steady at 4.10GHz, so basically ~0 hesitation
Makings of a [GREAT] mini space heater, during the winter spells… Damned nuisance to an A/C unit atm

1 Like

Don’t know but pretty sure trade off for MSI godlike to meg ace is negligible. Went with meg ace. No problems sept mystic. Can get past that with aquacomputer octo.

X570 very simple intuitive bios even in advanced.

Sorry not a Linux guy. Hey that could damn well change windows 11 pfft. Yikes

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.