X570 Aorus Xtreme/Master... was it originally intended to have Thunderbolt support?

Maybe someone with “unofficial” connections to manufacturers can shine a light on these strange circumstances, as a hardware engineer I’d be really pissed if products I had helped bring to launch were castrated last-minute, especially if it would have been a world premiere regarding feature sets (AMD + TItan Ridge TB3).

1 Like

I realy would like to see @wendell, if possible, to update on this issue and/or try to find out why the Thunderbolt on this Gigabyte X570 Master suddenly went missing on the Revsion 1 Boards.

1 Like

I am planning on getting this board and I am wondering if there would be any boards out there with the header still or if I shouldn’t even bother at this point?

Has anyone got a board recently that had the header?

That would be a risky purchase:

Thunderbolt needs:

1. A Thunderbolt Header on the motherboard if you use an AIC

2. Firmware support within the motherboard’s BIOS

Even if you get an earlier motherboard revision where the header is present it’s pretty uncertain that Gigabyte cares about Thunderbolt-BIOS implementation on a model they never officially said would have Thunderbolt.

If Thunderbolt is important for you I’d advise to look at the various ASRock models - still the only manufacturer that officially supports Thunderbolt on AMD.

Considering all official photos have the header photoshopped out, it is very unlikely they will support it. Asrock is a better option, but make sure you test PCI-E signal integrity after you get one.

Hi guys. It’s not a must for me and more of a nice to have. I know that it needs a firmware portion but figured that someone like Wendel one day would do a mod to enable the firmware portion.

So more of a if I am getting this board would it be possible/worth while to find a board with the header on it. Sounds like pretty much every board out there will not have the header now?

Thanks

Can recommend the ASRock X570 Taichi with the Gigabyte GC-Titan Ridge Thunderbolt 3 AIC for full-fledged Titan Ridge TB3 with full 100 W power delivery now.

Works out of the box, I was super lucky, my first X570 Taichi seems to have been a defective lemon.

1 Like

Wow, guess they don’t QC signal integrity on all the slots then. That could be another point to test for hardcore motherboard reviewers, to test the signal integrity after it leaves the factory and to RMA it immediately if it shows signs of failing those tests.

1 Like

As a mere normie-pleb I’m not hardware-engineering-savvy enough to pinpoint what exactly was defective on my first X570 Taichi.

No other issues appeared so chances are if I hadn’t been interested in Thunderbolt 3 and tested two separate Gigabyte TB AICs I would have never known that there was something wrong with it.

From the type of crashes I would have thought that the AICs were faulty but well, at least I learned something with this experimentation.

Hardware Unboxed got their own Aorus Master and it’s also missing the header:

I think @wendell could be more upset with Gigabyte (on camera) for that sh** they pulled with removing the TB Header so they might publicly state what lead to that.

@wendell’s upcoming video about the two ASRock X570 motherboards with built-in Thunderbolt is a bit too positive for my taste regarding the X570 Thunderbolt development

(“Yay, I’m really happy TB is finally on AMD!” - I would be like: "Gigab…, what’s that sh* with removing the TB header and ASRock, why do you only offer that sh**y Alpine Ridge AIC for the X570 Taichi?!")

Yeah, cause the Aorus Master is superior for 3950X potential owners, yet they robbed them of that last feature that people would have wanted which is Thunderbolt 3 support…

I’m a little new to building PCs and have so far only built an AMD 2700X mid-tower.

I was hoping to buy the Aorus Master X570 specifically to drop the Gigabyte GC-Titan Ridge (Titan Ridge Thunderbolt 3 PCIe Card Component) into a slot.

Forgive my ignorance here, but does the missing header mean I can’t drop in this PCIE card and at least get TB3? Or is the missing header on the Master specifically for TB4? If so then the Titan Ridge PCIE should still work right?

You need to short some pins by “jumper cabling” the header if you don’t have a header.

Considering @wendell has been soldering lately maybe he can make a video and show us … :slight_smile:

Now I’m just worried I’ll grab this board and rev2 with the TBH header will be announced the day after.

If the Asrock has a better IOMMU situation it’s an automatic buy for me. Wendell said the Gigabyte IOMMU groups have regressed with the new AGESA BIOSes.

Interesting, I had convinced myself the Taichi X570 didn’t have a TBH but apparently it does ( thought it was limited to the Creator mATX board only). Thanks for the tip, I’ll dig deeper.

Yeah, they have the 5 pin header, just not the integrated controller. You have to buy a Titan Ridge controller separately.

Well, Guess what happened with TRX40? Intel must have bullied Asrock because the TRX40 Taichi used to have Thunderbolt support, but now it doesn’t. (see the solder pads where the Thunderbolt header was)

1 Like

Yeah, I stand by my gut feeling even though the reasons behind it are likely the multiple delays in anything new except the few mobile parts:

So probably no new Thunderbolt-on-AMD motherboards until USB 4 arrives - that sucks, wanted to go Threadripper 3000 for a live video encoding system for a local community music project early next year where it would have been nice if it also had Titan Ridge TB3 :frowning:

Would be great if @wendell could dedicate a video detailing this shitty development.

At least I don’t have buyer’s remorse regarding my Gigabyte GC-Titan Ridge-pimped out ASRock X570 Taichi :wink:

1 Like