WTF Microsoft? Win10 randomly forcing changes again

Sup, guys. I’ve not been around for… oh, probably a year and a half at this point. Some recent issues have made me think of this forum again as I haven’t been able to find anything with Google searches. Yay for problems bringing people back together.

Anyway, my Win10 OS is acting weird. Keep in mind that I have all the settings turned off in regards to Microsoft communicating with my computer and I run the Anti-Spybot Beacon thing that became popular when Win10 was proven to be such sack of %#*!. I’ve not had any problems at all with Win10 changing my stuff for nearly 3 years and then out of nowhere I started having problems about 3 days ago.

My OS is downloading updates automatically again and wanting to install them when I restart or shut down. It’s automatically changing the system clock repeatedly, turning the “set time automatically” to on. My Spybot Beacon is having some of the settings turned off. Etc. There’s been some other, weird things, but you get the idea.

Anyone else having this problem? WTH is going on? I’ve ran out of settings to turn off and it’s still messing with my desktop and it’s pissing me off.

I don’t have any of those problems because I’m on 7 but try some of this stuff. Maybe it will help temporarily and maybe not.

What I really want to know is how long will people put up with this stuff.

4 Likes

Holy wall of text, that thing is going to be a long read. I see that it has some programs I’ve not come across and it was written just recently, so I’ll definitely check to see if it can combat whatever recent changes are screwing with me (when I have more time later lol). Thanks!

1 Like

It isn’t.

4 Likes

It’s either two thing. There’s a conspiracy by Microsoft or this is because of something you’ve done.

It’s supposed to install updates on shutdown… Have you not been installing updates?

What version of Windows 10 are you running?

Or perhaps not been shutting down? Apparently some people don’t shutdown- they sleep/ hibernate.

Of course, sleep is a waste of time, and is to be avoided as much as possible

/s

I think OP is looking to fix his problem and not make the switch.

I have not read the wiki that is in post two, so I do not know if this was included in it. But if you set your connection to metered , Windows will not auto-update. Or you can disable auto-updates in the services manager.

Win10 does not respect the user’s deliberate choices and its patches occasionally reset all the privacy, telemetry, and usage customizations from programs like spybot beacon or Shutup10. You need to re-run those programs every so often. Just another annoyance in life.

If you really didn’t patch at all and your settings are resetting, that would be worrysome. Also, you need to patch-- security fixes are important.

There was a recent change where MS changed it’s “major release” update system to bypass Windows Update and hard coded it into the OS, meaning there is NO WAY to disable updates unless you remain disconnected from the net. Hosts files don’t work, and it would require deep packet inspection by a really advanced firewall to prevent the updates.

https://www.pcper.com/news/General-Tech/Windows-10s-latest-trick-Perpetually-hitting-EOL-secretly

Bit of FUD from PCper there. That was a bug, since fixed, and while the notification bypassed Windows Update, the actual upgrade didn’t.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4023814/some-versions-of-windows-10-display-a-notification-to-install-the-late

Yeah, but it proves they still follow the “Get Windows 10” style of nagging. They can easily go back and silently make the close button “accept.”

Well no, because it was a bug and they fixed it. They didn’t call it a feature and then talk down to you about not updating like you should. They called it a bug and then talked down to you about not updating like you should. I mean, that’s an improvement.

Id suggest first running this in powershell:

Get-ComputerInfo -Property Windows*

This will give us more info.

Then its worth finding out, what have you been changing and what was your goal? You mention it trying to install updates, give us more info on this, have you been trying to stop updates? (this is a terrible idea)

Have you been using some of these drive by “fix windows 10” programs? They tend to break windows.

If you’ve been using things like anti-spybot stuff and that has been making system changes its possible that windows is trying to fix what its seeing as a system error or corruption. Lots of these programs that have popped up either don’t do their job, or do them so poorly they eventually break your system.

(in reality you only need to set a few settings yourself and you’re done)

You also don’t mentioned what things in your anti-spybot program changed? Can you be more specific?

Just want to point out, that if you are blocking windows updates, and are blocking store updates, etc. you will have a vulnerable computer.

I’m about to take a nap so I’ll be dealing with this later, but I wanted to clarify some things for those who have responded.

My Win10 version is Pro, I think. It’s either Pro or the one below it. I know there was something about the different versions not being able to handle the same amount of RAM and some other stuff. I have the version that’s not handicapped.

I haven’t done anything to change my OS in… months, really. My OS is on a SSD along with all my other utilities like Chrome, etc. I have not added or removed any program or changed any settings for at least 2 months prior to this stuff happening. I honestly have no idea how this started.

My use of the Spybot Beacon and the settings and system changes I made 2+ is to block all the telemetry stuff and regain control over basic shit like CONTROLLING MY CLOCK JESUS MICRO$OFT COME ON. Seriously, without doing what I did to force control over this OS, my damn clock wouldn’t even be right because Micro$soft’s automatic setting service always puts me 3 hours behind for some reason. Also, I get annoyed with all of Win10’s bloatware like Cortana and their store apps that I had to bury under five tons of rock just to shut up.

Yes, I’m very much aware that this puts your computer at elevated risk, but it’s a pick your poison cenario. Do you want to know that Micro$oft IS actively farming you for data while your desktop refuses to do what you want it to or do you want to take a slightly higher risk in cyber-security. Considering the protection programs and common sense I employ when accessing the internet, I went with the later.

Pro comes with the option to disable updates in one of the menues. No external software needed.

There are different builds of windows 10, not just home and pro. The command mentioned above will let us know exactly what build and version you have, this will be useful.

It’s hard to say why this happened without more diagnosis, however, spybot being installed may be causing these problems. Apart from it screwing with the system, which Windows may be identifying as corruption, from a little research is also apparently one of the worst of these types of programs.

Almost all windows applications in Windows 10 are store apps, even down to things like system languages and the calculator. Messing with the application store will screw up your system as well.

It’s not the main question of your topic, but i cant stress enough how wrong an attitude this is, and that your perception of this issue maybe warped from all the tech blog propaganda.

Your protection programs are more than likely the cause of the issues you are having, I know of no one who has issues like this that don’t have these programs installed. Yet its always issues like this when people have installed these programs, commonly without knowing just what those programs are messing with.

There are better methods. However, if you actually have a use-case that requires certain types of control and internet access, then Windows its self is probably the wrong choice for you.

4 Likes

Eden your self righteousness tends to get really irritating. He said he is aware of the security risk. Stop trying to change his attitude! Just leave him alone it’s his computer not yours.

1 Like

What tek_elf wrote didn’t suggest that to me, that’s why i replied to his comment about it. Screwing up your operating system is not an answer to the perceived problem, and doing so looks to have caused this thread to exist in the first place.

2 Likes

Have seen that happen on notebooks a lot. Changing to BIOS clock fixes that until the next update comes arround.

1 Like

My Windows 10 install has a borked clock on every boot. I have to hop in, tell it to not manage time, then back to manage time, and it will go back to the correct time. Else the clock will be wrong for the entirety of the time I am in Windows.

FWIW to the rest of the thread, I am not using any additional programs to “fix” Windows, and I have not gone to great lengths to disable telemetry. All I’ve done is turned off the various settings that are provided during installation. On Windows 10 Pro, for which I paid cashey money, so I should’t have to disable telemetry, but that’s the world we live in right now.

3 Likes