Currently have an Xperia X but it has really annoying “bug” (seems like panned obsolescence after the final update from what I’ve read online and friends have said) that has it run either it’s low-power or high-power CPU’s (never both together) running at 100% usage, causing it to always run super hot, overheat super quick, and make the battery last on “idle” for about 3 hours. I would love to factory reset the phone, but I simply don’t have time to backup and install all the data and appdata again; it’s easier and more feasible for me to slowly transfer it over a period of a few weeks.
Must-haves for the phone:
- MicroSD card slot
- Headphone/3.5mm jack
- 64GB Internal storage
- Qualcomm or Exynos CPU
- 5.5" or less (pref of 5.2)
- USB OTG support (whether it be from factory or AOSP ROM)
- NFC support (so I can have my phone spoof MY OWN credit cards. Is this legal?)
- May 2016 or newer
- Must be rootable and have an AOSP ROM (can’t stand the annoying Google Play Services crap)
- Unlocked (preferably factory unlocked)
- Support at least 2 LTE frequencies of Freedom Mobile (check here: https://www.frequencycheck.com/carriers/freedom-mobile-canada . LTE Bands are: 4, 7, 13, 66)
- Must have all of these features or I am not interested
- Less than $280 including shipping (Toronto, Canada) and import fees)
- Micro USB connector (USB Type C has so many flaws, but I understand many phones use it…)
- Fast Charging (5V 2A or Qualcomm Quickcharge 9v/12v 1.5A)
- Physical/Capacitive buttons (I hate on-screen buttons)
- 16:9 LCD (1920x1080, 2560x1440, 3840x2160; can’t fucking stand the 18:9 or other tall screens, but at least with a rooted device, I can make the home button always stay on-screen, making the phone seem more like 16:9…)
- Front facing speakers (Sony phones)
Possible devices that I’d want:
Sony (preferred; has great AOSP support): Xperia XZ1, Xperia XZ2 Premium (technically has a larger has 5.5" LCD, but idc; only exception), Xperia XZ Premium
Motorola: Moto X4
OnePlus: None wanted
Fairphone 3 (the dream)
As you may have guessed, I’m super picky. I’m tired of all the junk that phone companies have released (removal of headphone jack and microSD card slot specifically, but also going with super massive edge-to-edge screened phones). I want a phone that reminds me of the better times, hence all of my requirements. It took me months to find a used laptop that fit all of my requirements (Fujitsu T938 ! Love 95% of the things from it), so it’s time to do the same with a phone.
If you are unsure if your phone qualifies (ex. can’t find if you can unlock the bootloader and root it), post a comment and I will reply. Try not to feel too turned off by its length, as most of it can be answered from 1 Duck searches (on www.gsmarena.com) very quickly.
Edit: Forgot to mention, I’ve also bought something from @Aremis before and have a 5+ year old account and am somewhat active. Just in case you think I’m sketch.