WRX80E-SAGE SE WIFI II - Q Code 66 & no video/post (SOLVED)

FINAL EDIT: In the end, buying ECC memory that was on the QVL, and the same capacity (128gb) but split across all 8 channels was the fix. I have to say asus support was incredibly unhelpful this time around, they threw me into quite a headache trying to chase non existent issues. I understand code 66 is supposedly a CPU DXE initialization code but for whatever reason the issue was indeed the memory. I have not tried again to boot with any less than 8 dimms although someone mentioned here that they’ve done it. Anyway I’m now fully up and running, thanks for all the responses.

Hi! First post here for me! I’m experienced in building gaming rigs for friends but I’ve never built anything with threadripper or workstation parts before, and there seem to be some differences in setting up a rig with these for the first time that I’m not accustomed to yet. At this stage I’ve got everything wired up and when I power on, fans spin, lights come on, but I get stuck after a few seconds on q-code 66.

When I called ASUS support and asked about this, they said that ws series motherboards cannot function without an OS already installed (huh??). Sounds super strange to me, but as I said, I am a noob when it comes to WS parts so i’m keeping an open mind. Anyway, support just told me to try plugging in a drive with windows already installed on it and it should boot right up. However, I tried that and it didn’t change anything (not surprising, imo). Back to square 1, power on, 1-3 seconds later post code 66.

I should also note I only have 4 ram dimms at the moment, with plans to get 4 more very shortly. Is it impossible to run this board without 8? I’ve tried many different configurations of 4 sticks, as well as 1 stick in different slots but nothing has changed at all except of course when I tried booting with 0 dimms, I got code 10 instead of 66. Anyway, that also seems to be a dead end.

Bottom line, I’m not able to get any video output and I’m kind of out of ideas. I’ll also be making an email to ASUS support as their phone support didn’t really seem helpful. Would really appreciate some more experienced WS builders than I in here to add any input!

EDIT: Since receiving feedback, I’ve updated to the latest bios but no change.

Build specs:
Threadripper 5955x
128GB A-TECH DDR4 2933mhz (non-ecc)
ASUS WRX80E-SAGE SE WIFI II
RTX 4090
Corsair MP700 PRO 2TB M.2 SSD
blackmagic decklink 8k

If your ASUS WRX80E-II still has BIOS v.0204, I think your Threadripper 5955x will need at least BIOS v.1106. From ASUS support:

v.1106 2023/03/07
-Updated to AGESA 1.0.0.5 for the latest generation of sWRX8 processors.

Two later BIOS versions have also been released:
v.1201 2023/06/07
v.1302 2024/01/19

1 Like

Do you have all of the power connectors plugged in? The pcie six pin connectors at the bottom might be required for the 4090.

1 Like

Iam not sure about it but on (my) trx50 board I have the atx power, cpu both, plus both PCIe (right side) connected. Even tho i only have a 1070.
Doesn’t hurt.

On my board 2 Switches were put to On whereas the handbook says they have to be OFF (Rsvd and slow boot). Maybe a thing to check.

Yes, that’s all plugged in. What about the ram? Do you know if/how I can use quad channel memory on this board at all until I get more? I’m well aware of the reduction in bandwidth but I’m just waiting a couple of weeks for the rest, and hoping to do some work on this in the time being.

According to my manual error 66 is part of CPU DXE initialization.
Have you tried reseating the cpu? You have one of the torque drivers, right? Mounting pressure can lead to memory errors too.
I was able to boot mine with one stick when I was diagnosing a bad stick of 16gb nemix 3200 ecc. I also used some 16gb 2133 ecc without issue with various numbers of sticks. But I didn’t try non ecc.

It shipped with 1106 installed, but just to be sure I used bios flashback to get up to the latest version, still nothing. Beginning to suspect some hardware is DOA but I’m unsure if its the motherboard or the CPU

1 Like