WoW on Linux, no sound [ignore]

I am trying to get WoW to work under Wine. Worked flawlessly right away on my laptop, but on both my PCs I’m not getting any sound.

Procedure followed :
1 ) fresh install of Mint 18.3 MATE
2 ) sudo apt-get install Wine
3 ) copy over my WoW folder from external HDD (I play WotLK on a private server, so installing the official game is not needed)
4 ) edit my config.wtf file by adding the following lines :

• SET gxApi “opengl”
    SET SoundOutputSystem “1”
    SET SoundBufferSize “100”

5 ) create a desktop shortcut to the .exe and add wine to the path so it launches using wine

On my laptop that worked just fine. Game boots right away, I have sound and everything. However the exact same procedure on my PCs doesn’t give me any sound whatsoever.

I did some googling and followed suggestions, but I’m getting nowhere.
Disabling Pulseaudio in winecfg allows me to select my webcam for audio input and my Bose USB speakers for output. I get the testing sound, so Wine does have access to the hardware and can use it. However WoW just doesn’t give any sound on just the PCs.
I tried copying the folder again from the laptop to the desktops, no dice.

Any suggestions? I’d really like to get this sorted today, otherwise I’ll have to install Windows tonight.

Which version of Wine are you on?

Use lutris and use the newest wine possible.

Oh, also don’t use mint for anything ever.

First I must have had 4.0, that’s what’s listed as the version number in the software manager
I came across a guide that recommended adding ppa:wine/wine-builds, updating and doing sudo apt-get install --install-recommends wine-devel winehq-devel
That puts me on 2.4 apparently. :flushed:
Didn’t help with the sound, and now the Wine subsection in my start menu is broken as well. But that’s not an issue, I assume that will sort itself out if I go back to a higher version.

Full disclosure : I’m that guy that builds and maintains his friends’ Windows machines. On Linux however I can browse the web, play some music and videos and play Steam games that have native Linux support.

EDIT : Nope, can’t update wine anymore due to broken packages.
Not going to sort that out too, nuking the install will be faster.

Back in 10 minutes !

Are you effing kidding me?

I search on DDG for “update wine to latest version”.
add the ppa as per the instructions at the very top of the search results page, only to be presented with a warning that it’s double-deprecated.
I follow the instructions from the warning and end up with Wine 1.6.2

EDIT : okay, clean slate again. This time I’ll use the guide from WineHQ. If that doesn’t work, Microsoft wins.

Use the WineHQ guide and follow @FaunCB advice regarding Mint in this situation. Mint does really bad things with package repositories that leaves you with things like this all the time.

Nope, can’t update wine anymore due to broken packages.

Yep, that’s #JustLinuxMintThings

1 Like

Followed the guide from WineHQ to the letter and I’m stuck with 1.6.2 again.

Screw this. Thanks for trying to help, but I’ve had it with Linux for now. I’ll just install Win8.1 and hope that by 2023 Torvalds has executed whoever thought it was a good idea to have 87405 different versions of everything with no clear upgrade path to get to the latest one.

Does sound work for other games with wine, is it just WOW without audio?

I’m giving it a go, installed Steam… working, installed a small game- works okay, downloading a larger one, prepared for failure :slight_smile:

While I understand the frustration, I think you got burned by Mint.

Did you install stable, staging or devel? You should always use devel. They dropped support for staging for some reason recently, and stable is too outdated.

YOU ARE LITERALLY USING THE WINDOWS MILLENIUM OF LINUX

That’s not how to convince him to give it another go.

1 Like

Place yourself is his shoes for a moment.

@anon37371794 has had a remarkably stable environment using Mint for a long time. He wants to continue to use the distro that he is familiar with.

There is a kind way to say, that mint isn’t the best choice; for this particular scenario. Tough love is fine, but that was not. It was just insulting.

Mint is geared more towards the older folk who don’t really use their computer for much besides email and web stuff or office work. For gaming, Mint is not a good choice. They might be a way to get around this if there is prepackaged flatpak for Wow. In which case is just install flatpak and then the package and done.

3 Likes

Ok sure, so he had it for a long time. At around 17.2 or 3 it fell through the floor, knocked out the supports for the house, and the house caved in on it. I get he may be comfy, but that doesn’t excuse not picking up on “Oh wait all this shit is broken and no one has answers”

At the tech shop I volunteer at all the people that come in have separate home drives on their machines and mint installed. At any point that they walk in with questions, 20 bucks, I replace mint with Ubuntu 16.04, now 18.04, install cinnamon, do the mint wallpaper, they never know, all teh problems go away magically.

Also

While that would be great, Lutris is the better option in running WoW right now. Runs fine, I play it on ultra on a shit processor and an RX580. And I’m on Void Linux, the barebones of barebones. Last I knew Mint still had pulseaudio problems like it is 2011 still.

Then wouldn’t a guide of how to install Lutris[latest] on Mint be on point? You seem to be quite familiar with it.

Honestly any advertising of lutris would be great, but the general negativity on mint is good until they fix their shit.

I think I’ll write a thread about Lutris tomorrow just to get the ball rolling.