Would you use a single core machine?

Only if it was made out of Graphene and had 8 threads.

2 Likes

Yeah, don't you get more PCIe lanes that way? Though good luck running Windows on it. Windows Pro is licensed to 2 CPUs and to get more, you need a server license.

Memory is irrelevant. it all comes down to CPU speed and IPC.

1 Like

NO VM can play skyrim without pass through graphics

I'm talking about physical hardware. You realise that right? NO VM's in this sorta thing.

I have a single core machine with 8g of ram right beside me...Its got windows 10 on it atm ....It works fine...It doesn't even have a gfx card .

2 Likes

I was going to make it a NAS

One time, I disabled my 4790k down to a single core, with no HT, at 2.2ghz. Why? I wanted to see how well it did against my old 2.17ghz Athlon XP 2700+. After the test, I forgot to change it back. I didn't notice it until a week later when I was trying to game.

An Abrams tanks has a single cylinder (turbine to be exact), but a Ford Fiesta has three cylinders (four, if you're a dare devil). So obviously the Ford Fiesta is better. I rest my case

1 Like

I would totally take a single core machine if that single core could run at like 12 - 15+ GHz

3 Likes

looks at OP

looks at dual Xeon E5-2670 machine

Fires up Cinebench

sees result

looks back at OP

Hell no.

1 Like

I see posts like that and I keep thinking around the way big endian chips work. Past 2.5 GHz is pointless. At least little endian CISC boxes can use all that speed. Its all IPC on RISC :P

I have another answer tomy thread. If I could have a sparc or risc box that I had absolute control over I don't think I would care about cores.