Would you use a single core machine?

Nowadays we all think about having as many cores as possible and not too long ago we all had single core machines. Until some crazy manufacturers got completely enticed by the idea of multiple cores, it was cool to have SSE1/2 and Hyperthreading, hell when MX and MMX came out shit hit the fan.

Now that you have a 4 core machine under your desk, in your pocket, in your bag, etc, would you use a single core machine again?

I could. I use a netbook with a single core atom almost every day.

I've used my i5 @ 5.0 on a single core it did just fine. Would I use an atom single core like you do? LOLILLLIIOLOLLOOLLLLLLOLOL no. God no. Please. No. God no.

2 Likes

Depends, i don't want my workstation to be a single core, but a laptop purely for writing some documents/watching movies I would rather have a better singlecore performance + longer batterylife.

3 Likes

Every game console before the mid 2000's was single core , and they were all great. So I would still play all of them.

As for a daily machine , heck no. I have work to do.

If I remeber right I jumped from single core to quad when I got an Intel Q6700, that was my first multicore machine.

These days things are a little different...

1 Like

Cheater :P

But seriously, no one? It isn't even that bad in comparison :|

I should also state that I know that televisions , appliances , automotive computers , network devices , ect.... still use single core cpu's. But those devices only need single core cpu's.

I was building SMP machines before they had "Multiple Cores"

Hell, even now I would rather have a dual socket board than a single socket.

Then again, I don't base my computer's power on what game it can play at what resolution at what frame rate.

There is more to a computer than games and video rendering.

NEEDS ALL THE CPUS!!

12 Likes

I was using a dell precision 670 workstation that I got used for a long time. Single core xeon with hypertreading and option for second processor. Was a beast and cheap but began to show its age.

I have no problem using a single core device that cannot possibly need more than a single core.

However that usually isn't a personal computer.

i still have a single core laptop laying arround.

1 Like

I have a single core VPS which does NAT/firewall, openvpn and bind/dnscrypt-proxy and that seems to do all right. For everything else; no thanks.

Lol I have a dell precision box from 2001 that has 2 xeons in it. DOesn't really do anything but it's fun to look at.

This seems like a use that would benefit from multiple cores with a lower single core performance (better handling of multiple clients).

You'd think so but it does exactly what it needs to do, with only 256mb of RAM too.

Nice. I love it when everything is this well optimised. Some people could learn something from this *kuch*warnerbross*kuch*batman*kuch

You seem bitter :P

The only single core computer I have in my house is my old Packard Bell which has an Intel Pentium 4 517 clocked at 2.93GHz with hyperthreading. This thing was a breast when it was new and even now it isn't too shabby on Linux but sadly it has outlived its usefulness especially since I have machines with multi-core processors that preform much better and are more power efficient.

Oh, and since I received my Raspberry Pi 2 I have been using my old RPi Model B which has a single core processor clocked at 700Mhz as a VPN on my network.

No, even my phone has multiple cores. The lowest I would go is dual core, for things like a router doing encryption and other traffic shaping.

Don't even own it :p. It just makes me mad that they ask ~€90 for it, it ruins the pc gaming market.