Would you use a single core machine?

The pentium 4 I built for old school gaming works great. It runs faster on windows xp than my livingroom phenom 2 x6 on windows 10.

pentium 4 3.0 ghz
1.5 gb ddr
nvidia geforce 6200 agp

I mean... if it was fast enough, sure. It's just that at this point it's hard to find a single core cpu that is fast enough. Although I imagine a phone running a single core desktop grade celeron would be snappy enough.

I remember when i went from a amd64 3200+ to a core2duo 4400 2ghz chip. didnt really notice the difference much at the time........well i was using windows98se

My first 'single core' machine :D

3 Likes

Huh single core.... imma try this for a few minutes just basic tasks if my motherboard supports it with my Xeon 1231v3.

Update, Not reccomended, was monitoring my cpu usuage and its mostly 100% even just watching youtube videos at 1080p and gaming, no way.

Single core meaning like a P4. An Atom N280 even. Not just turning off all of the cores.

Tbh really depends on what you plan on doing with a single core machine. I used to have a tiny netbook about 8 years ago with an atom in it, loved that thing. I even played some mmo's on it with intels graphics. I'm sure with a single core as long as it has a decent network interface you could find something for it to do on the network. The same can be said for dev boards though and they are less power hungry. As for using it like a personal computer it would slow me down considerably and in some cases not be able to perform tasks I need at all.

My current computer is a single core Inte CPU. It is fine for web browsing, but it pretty much sucks for everything else.

Pentium 4 FTW! 1 Core at an amazing 2.66Ghz. Nothing beats that. I get all my homework done. Its almost like Libreoffice is the only thing that runs or something....

In all honesty, I am one to use old technology until it no longer works. If it aint broke, don't fix it. If it is broke, fix it.

Absolutely not. Between multiple cores and SSDs I could never go back

For me it depends on what the machine will be doing. I do use a single core machine time to time.

I overclocked the crap out of my P4. I had one of the 3Ghz one and I somehow cranked it up a little more and then it died.

Put it in a chromebook and people would buy it

It works in your case because your focused solely on functionality. I would use a single core if it ran cool and efficient at 8 ghz other than that no i wouldnt. As an engineer and gamer i need at least two however i have 8 in my desktop.... 16 logical

Put it in a macbook and people would shit themselves while jumping off a bridge in order to prove macbooks are superior

1 Like

My laptop has an A10-4600M and my desktop has an i7-950.

They're starting to get a little old, but still work amazingly for everything that I do.

I don't think I could ever go back to single core.

if it was a 8nm cpu with hyperthreading and could reach 20ghz then I would say yes. but I doubt that's ever happening. if such a cpu was ever created you could run almost all emulators in cycle accurate software rendering mode. also some parts of video processing are still difficult to multi-thread so an ultra powerful single core will theoretically produce less artifacts. that said you'd have to dedicate your whole system to the task so it's only useful if you have a backup system.

After using a dual core atom on a windows 8 tablet, hell no, please no, never, never again. Seriously that thing chugged. It couldn't play 1080p youtube videos. If it was a skylake core with 16gb's of ram and it was clocked at 4.5ghz, yeah I might be able to use it with for web browsing and youtube. But if it was an atom I'd rather connect via packets sent and received by carrier pigeon and usb sticks.

Used AMD Sempron at 3.2Ghz (OC´d from 1.6 stock) for 3 weeks, waiting my new PC parts, since main pcs mobo "blew" up. Luckily I was at then alredy running Linux so it was actually pretty smooth, I was able to play cs 1.6 around 120 fps.