Would i7-14700K run on a B760 board

Hello everyone, I am new here.

I am trying to build a new PC for myself during Black Friday.
I am wondering if i7-14700K CPU could run on ASRock B760M PG SONIC motherboard, as if the power delivery is good enough.
Also, can I cool it with a ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 240.
I do not plan to overclock, and I specifically want this formfactor and the case.

Any other suggestions are also appreciated.

Thank you for your help and advice!

https://pg.asrock.com/mb/Intel/B760M%20PG%20SONIC%20WiFi/Specification.asp#CPU

yes.

When In doubt check the CPU support page like hexit linked, note bios version too

1 Like

Yeah the said boards vrm has 12x 50A power stages for Vcore.
Which is okay-ish as long as you don´t over clock the thing.
The 14700K can pull over 300W on a all core workload.
So a good airflow case with airflow around vrm area is recommended.
Because that vrm is going to run pretty warm if you push the cpu.

That board is basically more meant for the core i5´s.
But it could work if you don´t push the cpu all the time.

However my question is did you also consider AMD?
I mean if this system is mainly meant for gaming,
than i would recommend to go with AMD 7800X3D instead.
Because in my opinion for gaming the 7800X3D is still the better cpu.
even with the recent APO patch that Intel released for optimizing gaming performance,
of their 14th gen cpu´s.

3 Likes

You need to make sure there is a ton of airflow around the vrms tbch. Theres a lot of power in that area. What I would do if you can is top mount the radiator. Have a rear exit fan and fill the other front fan slots to make sure air us really moving in whatever case you have

There might be a reason for the OP decision. Some people choose intel to avoid AMDs oddities

Yes, but you’ll be spending extra on an unlocked part that will operate like a locked part (albeit with higher power limits out of the box) on a B-series motherboard. I assume you’re asking because you can find a good deal on a 14700K but not on e.g. a 13700 or 12900 non-K or what have you, or you absolutely have to have a 14th gen part but don’t want to overclock. Another option would be to wait for the 14th gen locked parts, which should arrive early next year.

Nothing wrong with B760 but why bother when a Z690 is the same cost or slightly less?

Difference between Z690 and Z790; Z790 has support for one more PCIe 5.0 m.2 slot, it is 4.0 on the Z690 board.

Chances of your use case actually impacted by that difference; 0.0001% or so.

That is of course fair enough.

Well yes that is a good point also.
It might be that he want´s to go with the Sonic theme for his build.

I don’t believe this is true in general. Some Z790 boards might offer a PCIe Gen5 M.2 slot (from bifurcated PEG lanes), but so do some Z690 boards. The dedicated storage lanes on Z690/Z790 boards are still PCIe Gen4.

Checked up the specs again. These are the things that differ:

Feature Z690 Z790
Default DDR5 Speed 4800 MT/s 5600 MT/s
USB 3.2 gen 2x2 ports 4 5
PCIe 5.0 lanes 0 0
PCIe 4.0 lanes 12 20
PCIe 3.0 lanes 16 8

So, yes you are correct - it was not PCIe 4.0 → 5.0, it was 3.0 → 4.0. Default RAM speed is irrelevant as OP will most probably OC the RAM speeds anyway and I think four 20 Gbps USB ports is plenty enough to not spend extra money on a fifth one.

1 Like