Would an older Optical Disk Drive work on a newer computer?

So I got this sony sony crx320A cd drive that I found at a thrift store for $1. Still in the box, never used. It's from 2004 and the latest OS it says it is compatible with is windows XP. Will the Optical Disk run on a windows 7 modern computer?

If it's IDE, you would need an IDE to SATA adapter and it should work fine, maybe even peripheral to sata power adapter, but yea, it would work fine...*SHOULD work fine. You may even want to update the device's firmware, too

Alright it is IDE so I'll buy that then. Yeah I googled the firmware and sony has it on their site, so no worries. Thanks for the help! 

np

you might be better off buying a $20 dvd burner... with cost of shipping, it's probably cost the same

True, but when I saw http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000RK89M4/ref=sr_1_1_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1354241061&sr=8-1&keywords=adapter+ide+to+sata&condition=new , it's about $5 with shipping. Reading the reviews makes it seem like I would need an IDE harddrive as well...hmm

you wouldnt need a hard drive with that. lol.

Sorry, I didn't mean to say that. It just seemed like most of the reviews were negative concerning modernized products with the adapter.

Dont buy the adapter unless you REALLY dont want to buy another optical drive. lol. And yea, you can find some better quality ones on the net. I personally dont like optical drives, but thats just me.