Worth upgrading from an 8350 for Audio Production?

KxStudio actually doesn't have pulseaudio installed, and I installed wineasio as well. It reads that no devices are outputting sound when there is clearly a youtube video playing in the background.

On the Ubuntu system the volume indicated that is is all the way down but it's actually still playing at 100%

OK -- not gonna tell you to use an arch based distro instead, but it's always an option. KXstudio is built for audio production and only audio production from what I understand. there's a way to pipe all audio through jack, involving pulseaudio-module-jack, more detailed info here:

http://puredata.info/docs/JackRoutingMultichannelAndBrowserAudio/

as for the 'buntu install, what does alsamixer say about audio? pavucontrol may lie to you when using jack on ubuntu, their implementation of all the sound stuff is a bit hacky and has way more moving parts than it strictly needs

Ok so I went into my terminal on the Ubuntu install. PulseAudio is a bit weird so I have to go and type: pulseaudio --start so I can have audio. (this is probably just some startup prgram issue).

However when I type in alsamixer and change the volume there it changes up and down without a problem. Maybe I should be keeping my jack server on witth the Pulseaudio bridge enabled?

that should work, just make sure to set the jack sink as the default device in pulseaudio

So intheory that would mean I can leave my interface plugged in and jack turned on and I'll still be able to hear other sounds on the machine?

Ok, sorry for any confusion but here's what I've just done, pulseaudio just stopped working for whatever reason, however when I set the ALSA section in Cadence to use the loop instead of a pulse audio bridge it worked fine. I think if I just avoid PulseAudio I should be fine, I just had a youtube video and project open both outputing sound just fine.

Upon further testing, it's fine without the PulseAudio bridge. Works as expected, my interface will output any sound the asio drivers are using, and when I plug my speakers in an non asio driver sounds come out of those.

cool beans, glad you got everything up and running!

Actually, the way it works is that ASIO is non-native so bridged to ALSA. In Linux, the system doesn't care about what protocol is used, unlike Windows where there is a different protocol for multimedia and system audio and for low-latency audio. In linux, it's all treated the same, whatever protocol is used, is bridged to ALSA or another system audio subsystem of choice. PulseAudio was an attempt by Canonical to make a Windows Audio-like audio subsystem with an easier API to do multimedia hotkeys, source management, volume control and other convenient stuff really easily, but it was always a typical Canonical product, it never really worked as it should. ALSA is the most used linux audio subsystem, it's also the one with the lowest latencies, etc...
You will not really notice much difference because KxStudio is pseudo-realtime, but there is added latency by the bridging process of ASIO to ALSA and the abstraction layer WINE provides between Reaper and the Linux system. Because it's not an emulation but a call translator basically, that process is very fast, and sometimes actually faster than running the same process natively in Windows, but you will be able to get much lower latencies using native Linux tools. VST's will work just the same until you discover the corresponding LV2 plugins, which takes some time because there are so many of them to go through lol. Ardour has come a long way in terms of GUI and features, you won't really miss out of Reaper is your main DAW om Windows.

Awesome, I noticed that when all sound was being played through the output on my interface when I turned off pulse audio (which is exactly what I want). I love that the audio doesn't act braindead like it does in windows, I'll probably just ditch PA altogether if that is the case.