Worth upgrading from an 8350 for Audio Production?

Ya ya ya we get it IME is cancer, windows is cancer, windows is malware, I get it. I use Linux for home stuff, I use windows for work and games. Sorry but for audio stuff the support for Linux isn't there yet. Go ahead fight me all you want, the support is not there. If you wrote music or worked with it you would understand the importance of getting your ideas translated into the computer quicker without fudding with settings.

But by all means continue to argue, I really don't care. If this is the level of conversation you are looking to have perhaps find another thread about this, make one yourself, or go "shitpost" on 4chan like everybody else. This comment is precisely why I asked here and not somewhere like 4chan. I'm surprised your preface didn't contain >install gentoo.

I never mentioned switching to Linux completely, had that been the topic of this thread it would not be posted under Build a PC and Hardware. I appreciate your input and mentioning the Salzbrenner stuff, I didn't know that existed, pretty cool. However, I never mentioned switching to Linux so calm down.

1 Like

Well if you go high end, It's even more worth it. Just get used to disabling HT on big, heavy projects haha. I remember Producing a 20 minute or so project from scratch that would crash on my hexacore xeon system unless I turned it off, but it's still edge cases I guess.

Lolz, so marketing-crushed consumer, please... I actually own and run a company that does audio production for video production and broadcast, and have been in the music business since I was a teenager, as a musician and producer. If you're not on linux for creative stuff already, you're a victim, and that's OK if you want to decide that for yourself, but it's not OK to advertise bullshit misinformation that could drag others down with you... show me ONE SINGLE commercial software console that is preconfigured and entirely preset for out of the box creative production with any hardware and lowest latencies and most available tools.... THERE IS NONE, you have to buy this and then that stuff and then download this and then that driver and then learn this and then that version of this and then that software and then buy this and then that plugin... whereas in linux, you could just download KxStudio or UbuntuStudio or any of the other creative distros of choice, and start creating immediately without paying anyone or anything and without needing support, and there are no problems with incompatibilities, and no problems with DRM that you didn't want that makes you lose jobs when you send out your material, and no problems with the huge latencies and background processes in Windows, and no problems with the crashes of plugins in OSX, and everything you produce is yours and you have an efficient and safe system... if you're not seeing reality, then continue to doze off in that consumer haze...

1 Like

Seriously mate, you're adding nothing productive to the discussion, and it's starting to become irritating. People can do things differently from you and not be deluded or brainwashed or whatever. Everyone's different, and nothing has a one-size-fits-all solution. If you can't reconcile your worldview with this fact, places like 4chan's /g/ may be more your speed.

Well, being a user on this forum for just ONE day, you of course know everything about what is adding productive things to any discussion, MATE...

nothing I said has anything to do with forum membership. it has to do with interacting in a polite and civil way with others. You obviously have trouble playing nice with a variety of people, and that's a problem regardless of how long I've been a member of this forum.

@Zoltan might have a somewhat abrasive style at times, and he does love to harp on about how good Linux is, but IMO if you read his posts they are often a mine of useful information. I simply choose to ignore them sometimes, after all we all know that Linux is really only for poor communists, no self-respecting capitalist would ever touch the stuff ;-)

Live and let live, you might think he is being rude or boorish (like that Uncle who visits at Christmas and won't leave), but he has said nothing offensive or used inappropriate language; just airing facts that some might find helpful if they stumble into this thread in future. I certainly learned some stuff - like I really should have tried harder with German in school...

eh, fair enough. There plenty of ways to do that without derailing a thread and cutting it short in doing so, though, many of which are easy.

I actually use linux for audio stuff believe it or not, but understanding that there's more than one way of skinning a cat, and that people that skin a cat differently from you aren't evil or degenerate is part of fostering good discussion and a healthy community. Tribalism, whether it's hardware, software, or otherwise, is what makes toxic communities flourish. I've seen people argue for hours about what text editor in terminal is better, which is ridiculous. I came here to avoid communities like that.

Ok I'll keep that in mind thanks!

I see you have some useful information as I've mentioned before but if you could lay it out in an easier to read manner that would be much appreciated. I see you're passionate, and I like that, but man we're all just people cut us some slack and truly help rather than do what, through a text based conversation, feels like screaming.

Perhaps show me some VSTs available, amp simulations like BIAS and drum machine software like the Toontrack plugins? How are drivers for popular brands of interfaces like the Focusrite stuff?

If you want to run vsts in linux, you need a wineasio enabled, jack compatible VST host e.g. Carla. Check out KXSTudio or the linux musicians forums for more info on setting it up and working on audio in linux.

Looks like Reaper will work as well? If so that's awesome, If my main DAW works then that's a huge plus. I'll actually give all that a shot on my laptop for testing. I take it most of it will work on Manjaro? I'm most comfortable with that, but could use a debian based distro if needed.

Reaper has an unofficial port on linux, with a package in the AUR, but it also works just fine on wine. if you're on Manjaro you'll need the following packages:

jack2 pulseaudio-jack reaper carla-git carla-bridges-win32-git carla-bridges-win64-git cadence-git pavu wineasio

a very good daw if the reaper port aint up to snuff is Ardour, good drum machine is hydrogen, good music writing app is roseegarden, good fruity loops clone is lmms, there's also tracktion and calf if you need goood native plugins

you'll also need to read up on cadence's uses, and how to properly bridge jack to alsa for non-daw use of the workstation

very cool I'll be having a look at that.

Focusrite just works but is cheap stuff so has some quirks. It's usually a better idea to get hardwired class compliant stuff like the Steinberg UR series, which is made with *nix class compliance in mind from the start. Not that, right now, that gives you a benefit other than the superior build quality and native modern Yamaha 192/24 ADC/DAC and the larger headroom pres, but in the future, you'll know that it will always enjoy maximum support and compatibility in Linux.
But even interfaces that are long forgotten in Windows, still work great in Linux, and certain software, for instance Digitech's patch editing software, enjoys great open source support in Linux, but doesn't function any more on Windows. Harman Group products are pretty popular, so that's definitely a bonus in Linux.

VST's are super readily available in all kinds in Linux. I don't know if you saw the post about the open source effect devices from MOD Devices I posted earlier this week or last week or so. These things sell like crazy, and all it is is an LV2 host (Ladspa Version 2, the evolution of LADSPA, which is the equivalent to VST. LV2 is more like a better version of VSTi and then some, because it also includes things like impulse response loaders with a real mathematical background, which is possible in Linux without causing latencies... in Linux, you can have a latency free convolver for free, even a real time one, without much impact on the system, whereas a Windows or MacOS using music producer you would typically buy a hardware (linux-based) IR loader (e.g. the very popular Two-Notes Torpedo Studio for 1500+ EUR, I actually have one, the latency is rated by Two-Notes at 5.063 ms in normal mode, that's end-to-end, so that's actually not bad, but a convolver running as a DAW plugin in a preemptible kernel multimedia linux distro will add less latency), to have a low-latency convolver that doesn't take all of the system resources. Well, in all forums, including for instance the MOD Devices forum, you'll find the resources to all plugins ever... and the big benefit of open source development is not only that the offering is much greater, as in the number of available plugins is much greater... because it's open source, there is also community development... users actually are part of the development of plugins, and can make remarks and try betas out and fork plugins if they have a different idea, etc... the whole things is much more creative and interactive, and of course much better value for money... and because there are no vendors that change GUI's and file formats every couple of years to make everyone buy expensive updates, the GUI and plugins are always never obsolete, and everything works everywhere, so you can exchange files amongst users, you don't need a dongle, there is no DRM, etc...

There are also independent communities like linuxmusicians, with fora and active knowledge sharing. It's a spirit like in the nineties, there is a lot of collaboration, exchange, leverage, as it should be in the creative industry. All of those users who still use commercial walled garden solutions are getting seriously isolated from what's really happening, from the explosion in the creative sector that's happening. Remember Waves, the vendor of the very expensive pro plugins that came to the scene about 10 years or so ago? They still have those expensive plugins, but they also do open source plugins that are actually more modern evolutions of their commercial plugins.

Anyway, too much to mention. If you're interested in jumping aboard of the new creative craze (which is not only a fact in music, but also in graphical arts, where open source is also catalysing the scene like crazy, with a lot of exciting new industry standard open source software coming out as a consequence), visit a few open source fora, like the fora of linux musicians, the fora of creative distros like KxStudio, the fora of linux-based commercial products vendors like Harman Group products, Korg, Yamaha, etc... but also of indie open source specific companies.

2 Likes

Awesome, that there is very helpful. I had a feeling that hardware stuff would work better or as good on Linux vs Windows. I do apologize as well if I may have been seemed like an ass earlier but it did really feel as if I were being screamed at with a keyboard haha.

However I will take a look at this stuff, I didn't think switching to Linux would be a viable option, but now with my current DAW likely getting a Linux port in the near future it may be more possible than I thought. Thanks again, I'll keep this in mind going into the future!

@tkoham or @Zoltan, would you be able to assist with a small issue im having in KxStudio?

I've installed it on my laptop and actually it works beautifully no issues with any plugins over wine, even Reaper works flawlessly. The only problem I'm having is using the regular audio, everything is fine when using repaer and recording but if I unplug my interface and turn off cadence I can't hear anything like youtube or music etc... Am I missing something here? I imagine it's simple and I just don't get it.

are you using jack only? or jack with a pulseaudio bridge?

I was doing that on Ubuntu but having terrible issues with it. So I installed the KxStudio distro and used just the ALSA -> Loop -> Jack. Works flawlessly for recording but I can't hear anything else.

I also still have the Ubuntu partition as well, if you have a solution for the PulseAudio problem, which is kind of similar but I have sound after turning off cadence but cant change the volume level at all. My interface and everything else also worked flawlessly in this setup as well, it's just using audio outside of recording I;m having trouble with.

Not sure what the KXstudio defaults are, as I use arch for audio, but do you have pulseaudio installed? if so, what does the volume control report in terms of your devices?