Worth upgrading from 4670k?

Hi Level1techs,
I have been looking to swap out my 4670k for awhile to run linux with gpu passthrough to windows.
It is probably notable that i have a 1440p 144hz screen and would like to stream games.

Would it be worth me upgrading to Kaby Lake just for this? I could sell my 4670k and buy another Haswell CPU to swap it out but that is a hassle and might be easier to get brand new parts.

If you can just get a 4770k or 4790k, kaby lake isn't much better.

1 Like

No... If you go for an upgrade, just get a Haswell i7 and keep the rest of your system... Crappy Lake is something like 2-3% faster... Just get 4790K or something... Even Xeon are fine...

3 Likes

Yeah I say stick with Haswell... the only people who should be upgrading to kaby lake are those with Sandy bridge or earlier (and if they have sandy bridge it's still somewhat debatable if they should upgrade...) OR people who need the extra connectivity, bleeding edge features, or their work actually sees a significant improvement with a kaby lake chip. Since you already have Haswell it's best to stick with that generation so you don't need a new mobo and ram as Haswell will remain a viable chip for quite a few more years yet.

Depends on the gpu you are running.
GTX1060 or RX480, nope not really worth it.
But for higherend cards an i7 could be worth it in certain newer AAA games.
Upgrading from Haswell to Kabylake isnt really going to be worth it.
Unless you could really benefit from the additional feutures that come with Kabylake / Skylake.
For example if you want to have more expendabillity options.
Because the Z270 chipset is superiour to Z97 in everyway..
Or if you are a diehard overclocker, and you want to get the 5.0GHz target.

Devil's Canyon is just as capable of 5GHz as Kaby-Lake though, so even that's not a selling point.

With the FiVR? hmmz i´m not too sure about that.
I think that a 5.0GHz Haswell cpu is more like a unicorn.

Well of the four DC chips I've owned three of them hit 5GHz, one hit 5.2GHz.

1 Like

Then you had a good silicon lottery.
But yeah, potential overclocking capabilities is indeed never a selling point.
The main selling point for Kabylake and Skylake alike are the platform improvements and feutures.
The dmi3.0 interface between cpu and chipset is really a step forward, if you really want to expand.
Next to that the chipset it self also has significantly more pci-e lanes available for connectivity.
Z97 for instance only offers 8 chipset lanes.
On which Skylake offers more chipset lanes.
So you really could benefit from that, then its definitelly worth it.
But if you just have a pretty simple setup, and mainly care about playing games.
Then its not worth it right now to upgrade to Skylake or Kabylake.

Questions:

Isn't X99 better in that situation? I mean features and connectivity?

Depends a bit on how you look at it.
Z170 and Z270 chipsets alike are still more superiour then X99.
Its just that X99 cpu´s them selfs offer more physical cpu pci-e lanes.
But that just has more to do with the platform, rather then chipset.
The dmi interface to the chipset on X99 is still dmi2.0, just like normal Z97.
And also 8 chipset lanes.
So basicly if you compair the chipsets purely then Z170 / Z270 are superiour.
Because of the dmi3.0 interface and more chipset lanes.
Its just the X99 cpu´s have more physical pci-e 3.0 lanes them selfs.
So you have more pci-e bandwith directly available to the cpu, to work with.
Thats why X99 is most of the time more popular with content creators.

1 Like

Not to mention the extra cores of the cpus ...

1 Like

4770k doesn't do vt-d
but the 4790k does.

You can probably find a chip pretty cheap on creags list

I'm running a GTX 980 4gb.
I'm going to do some research and see if i can find a cheap 4790k.

5GHz for 24/7 operation? Please tell me how, and what hardware you used; I have a 4790k that could use your touch

Have you tried de-lidding and reapplying TIM? Supposedly heat was a major setback to the 4x70k chips. Might be able to OC it to DC levels then

Two of them were stable, both 4690Ks. Lots of LLC and PWM tweaking was required. I found the ASRock Z87 OC Formula to be the most robust board for overclocking since it was drowning in features.

http://valid.canardpc.com/7uaqpw

http://valid.canardpc.com/v25dc6

Obviously 1.55V is extreme but that second chip was running 1.422v when set at 5GHz. The third chip was a Pentium G3258 and I cannot find any validation for it. I probably have a screenshot saved somewhere but it's not on this laptop. It was anything but stable so it's less important.

How is the i7 5775c compared to the 4790k? If it supports vt-d (i dont know if it does) and it overclocks as well, it might be a better choice since it would give you a beefier gpu for your native linux

Broadwell has never really been that popular.
Nobody really talks about them anymore.
They both support vt-d as far as i know.
But the only strong point i could think off with those Broadwell chips are the iris pro igpu´s.
But other then that, they are not really worth looking at imo.
Next to that Broadwell cpu´s dont work on 8 series chipset boards.
You need either Z97 or H97.

Honestly i haven't touched any overclocking yet on this cpu. I would still want to make use of vt-d anyway. Deliding the cpu sounds a bit risky unless there is an easier way now.

There is ;)