Workstation / Some Gaming

Hello, I’m looking for help and tips and pretty much everything I need to know before commiting to a build.

Current Setup

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-core
  • GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650
  • RAM: 2x8GB something something
  • ROM:
    • Kingston 1TB NVMe SSD
    • Seagate Baracuda 2TB HDD
  • PSU: 600W generic PSU
  • MOBO: ?

New Setup

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-core
  • CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE
  • GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6700XT 12GB
  • RAM: 2x16GB G.Skill Ripjaws (probably gonna be 4x16GB later on)
  • ROM:
    • Kingston 1TB NVMe SSD
    • Seagate Baracuda 2TB HDD
  • PSU: Corsair CX650M 650W
  • MOBO: Asus TUF GAMING B450-PLUS II ATX AM4 Motherboard

What I Do

• Work: Personal projects, Software development (been thinking about elaborating on this but honestly don’t know what more to say; I’m more than sure the new setup will be more than enough for my soft-dev needs)
  • Video Editing: Light Video editing and rendering from time to time
  • Gaming: No AAA games. Games I play: Minecraft, LoL, Hades, Deep Rock Galactic and other similar games. Looking to expand the list of games I play, but again, not planning on playing any AAA games.

Extra Info

• Budget: No more than 1300$USD
  • Not really concerned with heat or noise generated as the PC will be behind a wall in a decently cooled room.
  • Not looking to change my triple monitor setup:
    • Main: 1920x1080, 60Hz
    • Side 1: 1920x1080, 60Hz, Vertical
    • Side 2: 1600x900, 60Hz
  • No need for a case
  • No need for any peripherals
  • No overclocking
  • No water cooling
  • Linux, Fedora (Nobara to be precise)

Thoughts

• Concerned with compatibility, not as concerned with it being enough for my use cases.
  • The MOBO and the PSU are not set in stone and I’m having the most difficulty deciding on those two parts. Needless to say I’ll be more than happy to replace them with better recommendations.
  • I’m also split between two GPU’s: the 6700XT and the 6750XT and so I’m looking for advice on this as well.
  • Edit: also the RAM is not set in stone and can be changed as well.

That build will grow old really fast.

Full AM4 builds are really not what you want here, I am sure the AM4 will work but it will get quite old quite fast. Get an AM5 build that is also allowing you to upgrade to a better CPU. I would recommend the following new full build. I also think Microcenter can give you a great deal on an AM5+Mobo+RAM combo, if you are in the U.S.

Kinda Overkill Midrange

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 9 7900 $424.00
Motherboard Gigabyte B650M AORUS ELITE AX $159.99
Memory Silicon Power Value Gaming 2x16 GB DDR5-6000 CL30 $92.97
Storage TEAMGROUP MP34 4 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 $161.99
Video Card Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7700 XT $449.99
Case Corsair 4000D Airflow $79.98
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 850 - V2 $95.99
Total $1464.91

Now, I know I am over budget. You can cut three things out, 7700 XT → 6700 XT, forego the 4TB SSD or skimp on the case. Hope that helps!

1 Like

IMO this is not a bad build and I like the case . He could skimp on the CPU to a 7800X3D since it will have a great balance between performance and the price and the CPU should be easily upgraded for at least one maybe two more generations.

1 Like

Thanks a bunch, I appreciate it!

Agree with Wertigon. You could consider upgrading your AM4 pc to a 5800X3D if you want to save money, but building a new complete AM4 system does not make much sense.

For your use case (no AAA games, software development, video editing) I think 12 cores of the 7900 make more sense than the 3D cache. In some applications one will perform better, in some the other. But both should perform great overall.