Workstation Laptop: Brainstorm

I’ve been looking for a mobile workstation for the longest time, all of the ones with the core internals to what I want are overly gamer-centric. They rely on VA/TN high refresh rate panels none of which are useful to me or anyone looking for ‘extreme’ multitasking. Like any rational nerd, I compiled a list of demands and went to the internet.

What would you change for a workstation, without going down the rabbit tunnel of adding everything?

Chassis: Lenovo Legion 7 Gen 6 (16") [The closest to the desired port layout]

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800H* APU [Intel Equivalents are fine]
GPU: AMD 6700* [With MUX Chip]

Display: 16:10, 4K*, 60p, IPS / QD-OLED, Glossy

Keyboard: US International (No Numpad)

Battery: 90-100 Watt-hours

Charging: Thunderbolt 4 Ports on both sides & rear, USC-PD [No DC Barrel Jack]

Other:

• Windows Hello Fingerprint Scanner
  • Stock Windows [Little to no bloatware]
  • Webcam: Good 1080p
  • Keyboard Backlit [White, 4 Steps (Off, Low, Med, High)]
  • SD Card Reader
  • Good Speakers
  • Nothing Fancy
  • Nothing Fancy
  • All Metal body
  • Big Trackpad
  • 3.5mm Jack
  • No RGB
  • 1x Recessed USB Port Rear for Mouse Dongle [Why isn’t this a trend already?]
  • 2x Replaceable SoDIMM
  • 2x M.2 NVME Slots
  • Sold with Barebones Option [No Storage, No R.A.M.]
  • Nothing Fancy!

‘*’ = Or current equivalent

Gamery ones, are likely gonna be better bet [between pricing / availability]
Fortunately, a lot of mfrs are actually offering customizability, so you can shut-off the RGB fluff
Some laptops wouldn’t have as much of the gameriness, whereas others only go full send

Largest chip I’ve seen from AMD [so far], is the 6600M, which being a lower powered variant
…Compared to nVIDIA, with their excessively stupid nomenclature/chip mismatching

Whenever ASUS hosts the newest Zephyrus series laptops, they’ll likely hit a lot, off your checklist

Yeah it’s not so bad but things like recessed USB ports should be a staple, only seen them on ThinkPads and the like.

The one that tickles my fancy the most so far is the Dell XPS 17, and that totally does away with the chassis layout and leaves me in the land of the dongle.