Workstation 4k monitor for multiple workspaces

hmm not too sure if I like the idea of that , I’d need a manner to explicit designate work areas on the monitor. I know display fusion has something to kinda do that but I don’t know how well it works.

For which programs?

I can run DaVinci Resolve, Fusion 9, Blender, Nuke all on one screen in four quadrants if I want to.

I am not saying you do not need what you are claiming, just trying to understand your use case.

RDP, ESXi remote workspaces, MMCs. Alot of what I do happens in web browsers as well which should be fine. Putty, winscp, cisco asdm, bomgar.

Ignore this post. The same one was linked above…

Sorry,

the LG43 with PNP is a good choice
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1325220-REG/lg_43ud79_b_uhd_monitor_43_4k.html

Has anyone ever bought the TCL? I’ve been looking at that one to replace 2x 1080p monitors I currently use. I’m interested to know if it works great as a PC monitor.

No. I go on reviews from this site. I have used their reviews for years and have not failed me.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/tcl/s-series-4k-2017-s405

I ordered the 43" version of that TV. It’ll be here Friday, so I’ll try and get reviews up this weekend. Shoot me a message if I forget.

2 Likes

@k3g Any update?

Apologies for the delays!

The TV makes for an awesome monitor for web browsing, media consumption, and CAD.

I had some driver issues with AMD Radeon Crimson Whatever, so I haven’t tried gaming on it yet. I ought to have time tonight to troubleshoot the issues, and I’ll also snag some battlestation photos. A summary of the problem: Changing resolution in PUBG makes the monitor not recognize the input, OR something isn’t playing nice on the GPU side. If I leave it at 4k all the time, I have no issues. I may just try playing at 4k, and seeing what framerate I can hold with a r9 290 and a 290x.

My initial feeling is that using a 4k TV for a work-based monitor is awesome. I’d suggest getting a TV that’s not a Roku/Smart TV though, to skip the power-on step of telling it to switch to the computer input. However, considering the cost, I have no complaints yet.

1 Like

That is not representative of all Smart TVs. Mine do not do that. All setting stay so they power on in PC mode.

That is good to know for others.

Multiple workspaces? My main selling point is 4 different workspaces. Sometimes I need to worl between 3 rdp sessions and still need a Windows open to do other things.

You will really enjoy it especially for the price. Gaming isn’t bad but FPS not the best. I will be going to a 43 4k monitor with low input lag and 2 32" 1440 p monitors on each side in the future. Waiting on volta to release and gonna build a whole new rig. I had a 40" Samsung that I enjoyed except for gaming which again was not bad but you could notice the lag from time to time and my 1060 wasn’t doing so hot holding up to 4k either which did not help.

To clarify, you’re looking to have it act as multiple displays, on a single panel?

Any reason a tiling wm won’t work?

Tiling WM? But yes you’re correct. I’m wanting to break that 4k display into 4 1080p ones.

Tiling Window Managers treat windows as “tiles” and have rules for arranging them on your display. Instead of the free-form wm we’re all used to with WIndows/MacOS/GNOME/etc, a tiling wm will have “tiles” assigned for windows, with keybindings for manipulating them.

Here’s a good one for OSX:

This image does a good job of showing a highlighted tile to show focus: