Workstation 4k monitor for multiple workspaces

Anyone have a good recommendation for a monitor that’ll do multiple 1080p screens on the same display? I’m kinda tired of using 3 1080p monitors and would like to just get one 32" 4k one and have 4 monitors in one spot.

Would have to be purchased on CDW or Amazon since work would be paying for it and those are my options unless I buy it and get reimbursed.

1 Like

well i cant suggest a monitor for your problem, but as an owner of a 27" 4k Display, i will comment that you will need a bigger monitor, like 40" atleast, because for 27" its really hard to use it on 100% UI Scale, it will be a nightmare to use 4 tiny 100% scale 1080p on 32"

3 Likes

^^ This. I got the LG 43UD79-B in at 42.5" (home not work) and in four screen mode they are a bit small.

I wish my work would buy me one for here… They did get me a Razor Mamba though…

1 Like

A 50" will display 4x 24" monitors on one screen in 4K with 100% scaling. A TV is the cheap way to do this and are excellent for productivity. I use 3 in surround. There are special parameters the TV must have. I f you are interested in the TV route, I can assist you.

IMO this will be the future- 50" curved 4K with respectable specs. I don’t need anything more than a TV and in hindsight I probably should have gone this route (I don’t game) but for more adoption IMO there will need to be 50" that have more gamer appeal.

That is all hype IMO. 60 FPS with 35 - 45ms delay at ultra detail is fine for me. Also 4K surround, very high, at 45 FPS. I would bet 65% of PC gamers would not notice the difference and the immersive real estate more than makes up for it. Unless you a very serious multiplayer gamer my set up works fine. It’s the “keep up with the Jones’” that makes them unappealing. The same reason the I7700K sells so well. Some want those 300 FPS in CSGO. But far be it from me to tell someone how to spend their money. I am an overkill kinda guy too and spend more than needed just cause.

Considering the vast majority of gamers play at 1080p with a GTX 1060 or RX 580 level of performance, I do not see how a TV is unappealing. It’s just that old BS, but… but… it’s a TV.

I will continue to use TVs until they make a 50" 4K monitor, with warranty servicable in my country, pixel perfect, for under 1K CAD.

I totally agree, just coming from an adoption point of view meaning supply and demand- we will start seeing ‘monitors’ instead of ‘TVs’ filling this roll if they have the Ritz and bling factor many consumers demand. How many mice and keyboards sold simply because they had RGB haha. I’m a dope myself, the LG is called a monitor, has a few things that makes it a “monitor” vs. TV I guess, and I paid for it. Could have gone to Costco and got a 50" curved 4K and maybe would be even happier with my purchase… not that I’m disappointed with the LG. The LG will maybe shine more if I ever get an AMD GPU (has freesync).

1 Like

The new HDMI standard coming makes Freesync mandatory, so TVs will be Freesync enabled out of the box.

I do not like curved monitors for productivity, but that is fully personal preference and totally subjective.

I happen to like RGB so no complaints here. Considering it all can be turned off I am unsure why the haters, isn’t options always a win win?

Also RGB is @wendell approved…

wendell_approves_rgb

1 Like

I’ll be sitting no more than 2.5 feet way from the monitors, still think that’ll be an issue? I’ve never used 4k/multiple workspaces on a monitor so I really have no idea. Thanks for the insight though, that’s valuable.

I’m currently looking into getting a TV for a monitor and would not mind some insight. My budget is around 600-700 CAD, what should I be looking for?

From TV screen to edge of desk is 34", I sit leaned forward, so screen is less than 34 inches with zero issues. I could be closer but to fit panels on the left and right, this is minimum distance for them to all fit on the desk. That is the nice thing about 4K, you can be up close and personal. On 1080p it would be dreadful as you will see the pixels.

My only issue is height. I built a custom desk, higher than standard and with the stock TV stands they are slightly higher than I would like. Not bad, but not optimal. I am looking into custom stands to alleviate this issue.

This if you can find it as it will be closest to your price range, maybe even in it:

This if you can scrape together a couple hundred more:

For yet another 50 more (currently on sale) this:

Well sh*t… Thunder from my LG stolen.

The max size I can get on my desk is going to be 42" so I found this:

Is the 4x 1080p displays a native thing that 4k displays do or a featue of the OS?

This one beats it in almost all categories, but most importantly as a PC monitor. Cheaper (a little) and already has L1 affiliate link:

How does the screen splitting work on those? Windows or a hardware option on the tv itself?

I do not use screen splitting. My TVs do not have option for it. I just resize windows to my liking and most programs remember last config or can be set.

Example: Blender opens with 14 windows across 3 monitors.

Make sure you check input lag/display response times. I have one TV thats upwards of 150ms which is pretty rough to use a mouse effectively on. Most arent too bad but it can still be a real pain.

All selections submitted were based on input lag and 4x4x4 chroma at 60Hz. Basic mandatory needs for using a TV as a monitor.

1 Like

Fantastic, I have made that mistake before, which is why I reiterated that point.