[WON'T FIX] PSUs asserted deasserted messages in BMC (IPMI) management

My BMC (IPMI) logs are flooded with these messages about PSU asserting.

I have a Storinator XL60 which has two server PSUs. Not sure what these logs mean, but it’s really annoying to keep getting notifications about so many issues.

My server is using ~340W of power.

I’ve tested power cycling as well as pulling the PSUs out and putting them back in.

Not sure if this is normal or not. Are you guys having the same issue?

I noticed the AC Input Voltage is reported as 230V.

I’m in the US and it should be 115-120V.

Is that the issue? Or is this an ASRock Rack bug?

This looks asrock buggy… 475 degrees on slot 1’s temp sensor doesn’t sound right, neither do those RPMs. I’ve got an asrock board with ipmi and it is bugged as well, just in different ways.

So you got a xl60 with a asrockrack motherboard in it instead of a supermicro?

Yeah, was I supposed to go SuperMicro? Is there an equivalent? Is ASRock Rack just a bad brand in general?

I don’t know if I can return this board to Newegg, but I can definitely say it hasn’t been smooth sailing; especially with those Broadcom NICs.

The only reason I mentioned Supermicro was because that’s what 45drives was bundling the chassis with… at least that’s what they are bundling it with now.

I wouldn’t call Asrock Rack a bad brand; they make alot of useful niche products no one else makes but I have consistently noticed a lack of polish in their BMC implementation. I’ve always just chalked it up to them making a very large quantity of different products and not being able to spend the time polishing each one.

Honestly, I wish I went with SuperMicro. If I knew the BMC was that bad on ASRock Rack, I’d rather have avoided it.

My other ASRock Rack board is fairly old and only has the Java screen viewer. Sadly, that doesn’t work on the latest Java, and I’d personally like to avoid any Java on any machine in general.

I’m on the same path, no more Asrock Rack for me.

I’ve got an Asrock Rack EP2C612D16FM that has a buggy BMC, the other functionality of it is fine though.
The java viewer might just be a whitelisting issue, I can still get my virtual console to work and it’s also java-only but I had to go through some whitelisting hoops.

Returning the ASRock Rack board to Newegg. Forget that company ugh. So many issues. I had issues with ASRock boards in the past, but I figured their Rack products were higher quality. Guess not.

What pushed me over the edge:

1. I haven’t yet received a response from their tech support about these issues.
  2. No one else knows.
  3. SuperMicro generally seems like a better brand that people like!
  4. The SATA connector doesn’t work properly for port 4 (starting at 1). The board has SATA through Mini SAS HD (SFF-8643). After testing 4 cables and swapping drives between SATA or SAS adapters, I kept getting write errors in ZFS on port 4. I spent so much money replacing drives, and it ended up being the board!

Just bought the SuperMicro H12SSL-NT as a replacement.

Some things I like better about this board:

1. All PCIe slots are accessible. On the ASRock Rack board, if you were using any NVMe drives, those took lanes away from PCIe slot 2 which meant I couldn’t use it at all. The SuperMicro board takes 8x from one slot and 8x from another letting you have an extra PCIe slot than you would’ve.
  2. They give you two SlimSAS (SFF-8654) ports which means you can connect a total of 6 NVMe drives (instead of 4), or you can have 16 SAS drives instead of just 8 SATA drives or a mix 'n match like I’m doing. It’s more options.
  3. It’s hopefully not buggy like the ASRock Rack board.
  4. It’s what 45Drives normally uses in their cases.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.