Wolfleben - Investigation Current State of The Video Game Industry

Audio version can be downloaded from the link:

What are your thoughts about the current state of the industry?

4 Likes

What are the main points you talked about in your video?

• Charging for VR for an already released game not being okay.
  • Open World Doesnā€™t mean the game will be great
  • How publishers have interfered with developers.
  • Support for Games long after release including free DLC
  • Maps being free for First Person Shooter Games.

Those are the ones I can remember right now.

2 Likes

Iā€™d like to see someone discuss how people say ā€œzombie games have been done to deathā€ but never done right.

My example would be: Dying Light looked amazing and was fun to play, but no game with deep and complex survival tactics has been paired with the fun gameplay of Dying Light. What games do have ā€œhardcore survival mechanicsā€ are always freaking DayZ ripoffs ruined by other people because the zombies are never enough of a threat to cut down on player on player violence.

My example of survival mechanics would be base building, food, water, disease, resources, etc. I havenā€™t seen a game that mixes those with the quality graphics, and fun gameplay of something like Dying Light.

/end-of-mini-rant

You could also talk about how Multiplayer has ruined single player gaming as a whole for the gaming industry.

1 Like

ļ¼§ļ½ļ½ļ½…ļ½“ ļ¼”ļ½“ ļ¼” ļ¼³ļ½…ļ½’ļ½–ļ½‰ļ½ƒļ½…

2 Likes

Um.

I take issue with what you said about KOTOR 2 being a phenominal game. While yeah KOTOR 1 and KOTOR 2 are good games, KOTOR 2 specifically was somewhat controversial. It was rushed out and not completed. Including broken quest lines and bugs that happened in the first game.

HOWEVER, I am only about 10 minutes into the video, and am going to assume/hope you address that game more specifically. It was rushed out according to interviews with people who worked on the game.

(there was at least one planet, and possibly one space station cut from the game. The broken quest line is for the character of HK-47, which cannot be completed in any way without a fan made patch that fixes a lot of bugs and restores all of the cut content)

Isnā€™t there a patch for KOTOR 2 that adds in missing content?

1 Like

There is, but itā€™s fan made which is why I would not call it phenomenal. If you got it for console, youā€™re basically screwed out of a planet, a station, and at least one storyline.

LucasArts rushed Obsidian to finish by Christmas time of '04, or whatever year it was it came out. Besides, thereā€™s a mod a restored almost all of the cut content.

1 Like

I know this, and said it in the same post.

I now. Iā€™m just pointing out that it wasnā€™t Obsidianā€™s fault, as I see people tend to think.

Itā€™s probably my favorite game of all time.

1 Like

Obsidian as in the same Obsidian that made Fallout New Vegas but got screwed over by Bethesda for short development time and not reaching >85 on metacritic because of the criticisms of a buggy game at launch?

1 Like

Oh I know.

Again, just saying that the game wasnā€™t spotless basically.

I seem to remember, long ago, reading that the Obsidian team wasnā€™t allowed to play or read up on the first KOTOR. I canā€™t find any evidence of it online but I could/would swear I remember reading that somewhere.

Yeah.

Your points are very valid. I actual donā€™t address why I think it is great now. I donā€™t know if you are aware but Obidisan patched it recently, made it so it supported Steamwork Shop and they worked with the The Sith Lords Content Restored people. Itā€™s good now thanks to that without though yeah it just goes into okay. Like you used to have to do some ridiculous stuff to get the game to run on a modern pc. Now you donā€™t.

1 Like

Good to know.

Well done on your research then.

1 Like

Thanks.

1 Like