Wireless internet issues

Hey guys,

my buddy is using wireless internet on his desk top computer because his parents dont want to run wires through the wall, he keeps getting lagspikes and we have tried troubleshooting the issues. My laptop on the same wireless connection has no lag issues and i am now wondering what the issues could be.

my buddys build http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/69Jvf8

He has a TP-Link Archer T9E PCIe wireless card in his desktop, we are thinking of changing it for somthing else

Any metals nearby? Aluminum of any kind can cause interference. Might also consider running a cleanup, and a network reset with 'netadapter repair' on bleepingcomputer.com
You can reset all stuffs on the connection and maybe see if its software related first

1 Like

There is only a desk, it has metal legs but not too much else going on there. He said he tried the netadapter repair and it didnt help.

Why not use powerline technology? No holes on walls, same lag as cable.

its not speedy enough for him, All be it i probably could just put my extra set in his house and set them up just for when he plays games.

Is it a windows 10 machine?

If so go to settings-network-and then the proxy tab and turn off auto detect.
I can not tell you what all the setting windows 10 messes with on proxy auto detect but it can fuck with the ability to connect or have a stable connection.

Proper drivers installed? How about the card itself, is it seated correctly?

Along with the antenna on the back?

If he ran all the tools on netadapter, it should do this for him.

My only other guess is the win X background fun. If he gets lag spikes during game but not other things, my guess is its a bandwidth issue.

Check there's no wifi powersaving features enabled

Not enought speed?

Mine internet is 100/100 and this is mine speedtest over router 1 (huawei one), powerline living room, powerline bedroom (other side of the house), router 2 (old dlink dr600) and finally the PC:

I have one SilverStone wifi kit with 9db Antena (from before the powerline) but speed is half and ping way higher, so I start not using it.

no powersaving features enabled, proper drivers installed no proxy auto detect. Ive never had this many issues before :/

Check with inSSIDer if there's a less crowded channel and switch to that

Repeat the same test but not in Windows (ie. run a linux distro off a USB stick) ~ rules out software & drivers

Test the device in another machine. ~ rules out hardware

try the router's log file(might now show the data you want depending on the router sadly). If he's spamming the router with invalid packages, you're kind of screwed. This happens at times, albeit mostly when using the onboard intel wireless cards.
It is piss annoying but there is nothing you can do other then try and update the drivers, and hope for the best.
My laptop has problems beyond anything staying connected to wireless, wired, no problems what so ever.

This thread is more than 5 years old…