winepak..Flathub installs of windows games

is it frowned upon if im using a windows rackmount with my gpu to stream games to my linux laptop? :x

1 Like

Oh neat I didn’t spot this ok.

I installed league last night but, uh, it doesn’t really work. Like at all. But its a start! Gunna try overwatch today.

1 Like

Worked for me but Im not a really player… The fault with flatpaks is saves are lost unless you alowe them to really access your home DIR etc. I had the same issue with starcraft while so fun to play through the zerg story for free after never playing the game in ages. The saved games where lost and it was the online progress that let me push onward.

prefixes already do this without having to do any special packaging

prefixes already allow differing wine versions

nah, plenty of people do this with a passthrough vm, even. Way more consistent functionality.

The current version does not do that… I know how to pass though paths to fix it but it doesnt make winepaks fixed

I did enjoy starcraft the void I got for free…Blizzard at there best, The stories was epic

I know, that’s why I’m confused about the usefulness of this :wink:

yeah, it seems like an attempt to find a legit use for flatpak more than anything else.

The people spreading flatpak and snaps are dragging us back into the 80’s and they don’t even know it yet. At least appimages don’t try to be a package manager

What I don’t understand about flatpak/snap in general (and please correct me if I seem to be getting this wrong but…) is… it’s nice that you have consistent versions and as a developer you can rely on the correct version being installed so you don’t have weird issues with differing versions. But on the other hand doesn’t that also promote not updating certain packages for a while because “they just work” without updates? Can’t this be a security issue too?

I know I’m off quite a bit, but this always bothered me.

that’s one problem, yeah. There’s also the issue of each package rolling its own versions of libraries, even if they’re supposed to be a system wide standard, when the majority of packages absolutely don’t need this. So, you get a massive inflation of package sizes and potential security issues with every new package you install because “linking to another lib version is hard for us”

It’s the OSX model without any of the security or UX considerations, essentially.

1 Like

That was exactly what I meant, yeah.

So that you install a package rather than install lutris. And so that League or Overwatch are just in the app store of ubuntu or whatever OS.

ubuntu packages wine games?
wew.
will incompetence never cease?

also if you don’t see the problem with having 10 outdated versions of a core library floating around that can be executed in userspace then I can’t help you.

I agree that all containers are a risk of trust. You patch your system and they patch your containers.

If it is a game behind a firewall. Im not as concerned as a internet facing service in a container.

@tkoham I see your concerns but I think that containerization is a good thing. It makes devops a lot easier, userspace break less, and leads to better UX. Potential security issues will need to be handled appropriately, but in a world where we want people to use the system this makes a lot more sense. In something like a server I can see how we wouldn’t want the bloat, but a little extra hdd space isn’t something to sweat over.

2 Likes

I definitely see the advantage for sure, I’m just voicing my concern with people not updating their dependencies because “they just work”.

Because that’s what’s been happening in the Windows world for pretty much forever.

People shouldn’t have to update their own dependencies*. That should be handled by the program/system.

• when used for userspace applications. Prod environments still need meticulous attention.

I’m not talking about the user, I’m talking about the developer or the guy that packs the flatpak.