Windows Share Issue after Updating Windows 10 Pro

So my WS finally got updated to the latest Windows 10 build about a week or so ago.

After the update however, the Windows share broke.

I was thinking I would just disconnect the mapped share and map it once more but no, I can no longer connect to the shared folders/files hosted on a Windows 11 Pro machine.

The share is hosted on a mini PC running Windows 11 Pro via external USB storage drives.

The strange part is that my gaming rig, also running on Windows 11 Pro can still see and connect to the very same shared files and folders.

The other oddity is that I can ping that machine on the network and even RDP onto the same mini PC.

I also have tested a VNC server on this device and it works too it’s just the Windows Shares no longer working for some reason.

Any ideas on this one ?

I can confirm this was working fine BEFORE the latest Windows 10 update.

Check your network setting to see if it’s set to public or private. Had an issue with a asustor nas that I couldn’t connect to it until I changed it from public to private!

Thanks it was set to Public so changed to Private, however this didn’t resolve the issue.

Does this setting require a reboot of the computer to take effect ?

just to discount it.
check your share options and make sure the links to the shares are accurate.
check there’s not a white list on the other side of the share, it may block your machine thinking its new to the network after the update.

also check your machine name hasnt changed to desktop-43144 or some such.
if it has, change it back to what it was previously and the whitelist on the other machine should let you share again.

I could not locate/find any kind of Whitelist but still checking in case I missed it.

Machine Name is still the same after the update so nothing changed there.

I even created a new share of the same drive and that fails to connect with my WS, but this test share works fine from my gaming machine.

I think something went sideways with the update as I had a heck of a time getting it to apply, took many tries before it finally worked.

which machine did you set up the share on?..
try doing it the other way round and see if the windows 11 machines can share off your WS.
if its just 1 way then its likely likely something on the ws… likely a service not staring, network discovery is switched off, or a dependency a service requires has failed.

Method 1: Start the services.

1. Press Windows andR key together on your Keyboard.

2. Type Services.msc and it enter.

3. Search for the following services and set the startup type to Automatic.

• Function Discovery Provider Host (FDPHost)
  • Function Discovery Resource Publication (FDResPub)
  • Network Connections (NetMan)
  • UPnP Device Host (UPnPHost)
  • Peer Name Resolution Protocol (PNRPSvc)
  • Peer Networking Grouping (P2PSvc)
  • Peer Networking Identity Manager (P2PIMSvc)
  1. Reboot the device and check the Network tab again.

Method 2: Modify the settings.

1. Go to control panel > Click on network and internet > Click on network and sharing.
  2. Click on Change advance sharing settings on the left pane.
  3. Select the options
  • Turn on network discovery.
  • Turn on file and printer sharing.
  • Allow windows to manage home group connection(recommended).
  • Turn on sharing so anyone with network access can read and write files in the public folders.
  • Use 128-bit encryption to help protect files sharing connections (recommended, but optional).
  • Turn off password protected sharing. (for testing)
  1. Click on Save changes.

Method 3: Turn on SMB feature.

1. Press Windows and R key together on your Keyboard.
  2. Type appwiz.cpl and hit enter.
  3. Click on ‘Turn Windows Features On or Off’ (upper left side of pane).
  4. Please scroll down and under SMB 1.0 CIFS File Sharing Support, check the boxes next to SMB 1.0/CIFS Client and SMB 1.0/ CIFS Server. If the boxes are already ticked, please uncheck the box and check it again.
  5. It will ask you to restart your Computer. Please Restart it.

if that doesnt work you can roll the update back from the control panel/programs and features/view windows updates/
and see if that sorts it.

Not usually in my experience, then again it’s windows so it might.

@anon7678104, thanks for the guide, I will review and test it out.

So the HOST/Sharing Device is a Beelink mini-PC running Windows 11 Pro connected up to USB Terramaster bays with spinning rust.

I will test creating a shared folder on my Win 10 Pro WS and see what happens when trying to connect to that share on my other two machines, both running Win 11 Pro.

EDIT:

So found a couple of the services listed not running, setting to automatic now.

However when I try to start them I’m getting a message about the service not starting up for some reason.

BUT I’ve not rebooted yet so I have to wait until my shift is over before rebooting this WS.

quick question - just so I understand your use case:

• are you using any user credentials to access the file share? or are you trying to access anonymously?
  • what version of Windows 10 you’re currently running? (e.g. 1709)
  • try to troubleshoot with NET USE? If the command below works, it should prompt you for a password and ultimately tell you that it was successful, if not, it should give you an error code that can be troubleshooted.
# mount a path with net use - run in terminal to check on output and remove the <>
net use <LOCALDRIVELETTER>: \\<PATH_TO_SHARE> * /persistent:yes
#remove a network share
net use \\<PATH_TO_SHARE> /delete

Edit:
You may also want to check if for some reason, the network is working (you never know…)

tracert <Network_Name>

@teltersat using Windows 10 Pro, 22H2 build.

As I stated initially the breakage occurred AFTER updating to this version.

I’m using the local admin account on the host machine to connect, basically using the authenticated users security settings for the shares.

Getting this error message when trying to use the net use command:

System error 53 has occurred.

The network path was not found.

EDIT2: tracert works for both the machine name and the ip address and of course I can ping the ip address too.

means it likely has a dependency that isnt running.

click on the service thats failed to start properties, and check which dependency it cant start. (typically another service)
locate it and enable it.

To resolve this problem, make sure File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks is enabled. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Log on to the computer by using administrative credentials.
  2. Double-click My Computer, double-click Control Panel, and then double-click Network and Dial-Up Connections.
  3. Double-click the network connection you want to modify, and then click Properties.
  4. On the General tab in the Components checked are used by this connection area, locate File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks. If it is not listed, install it by clicking the Install button and then double-clicking Service.
  5. Make sure that the check box next to File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks is selected. This setting makes shared resources available on the network.

@anon7678104 the File and Print Sharing service is already installed on this adapter and is checked.

I’m going to wait until my shift ends in about 90 minutes and then do a reboot of the computer, after I enabled the above services and set them to automatic.

Then I can check if something kickstarts at this time.

Thanks for all the feedback :slight_smile:

@anon7678104 so method 1 didn’t work, all the services are setup as auto and are running currently but still not able to connect.

Now attempting method 2 and see what happens.

make sure you try from both ends.
just walk through them on the system that works, that way you can see if somethings different between the 2.

@anon7678104 thanks, going to try that :slight_smile:

Ditto on both ends needing the “File and Printer Sharing service”: Error 51 or 53 when you access shared resources - Windows Server | Microsoft Learn