Windows setup doesn't detect drive on HDD with Ubuntu installed! Help needed!

I have a hard drive with partitions as follows:

1. EFI System Partition - fat32
  2. Not formatted
  3. Not formatted
  4. Ubuntu / - ext4
  5. Ubuntu /home - ext4

This is a new pc and since I needed a linux for work I installed Ubuntu first and left two partitions unformatted so that I could install Windows on one of them later.

I got Windows 10 iso from Microsoft. It was the May 2019 one. So there should be no problem with that.

Made a bootable USB and tried installing Windows but it just doesn’t recognize the drive. Shows error "couldn’t find any drives. To get a storage driver, click Load driver". It’s just a SATA hdd so it shouldn’t need any driver right? I tried changing SATA mode to IDE from AHCI but the result was same.

I tried loading the intel rst AHCI drivers from my motherboard’s website. Didn’t work!

I ran DISKPART from the troubleshooting cmd and drive and it’s partitions appear as expected. Used it to format the two sda2, sda3 partitions to ntfs. Didn’t work!

Does someone know how to work around this annoying problem. I don’t want to reinstall everything.

Specs:

i5-4430

WD Blue 1tb

Gigabyte h87d3h

First, I cannot recommend using a single disk for windows and linux… you can do it if you absolutely have to but you really should consider another disk for linux.

Second, you are going to want to install windows first, then linux because otherwise you’ll be recovering your bootloader for linux.

Typically you only need to install the driver if you have a raid setup. Since you’re efi booting linux, are you efi booting windows? If the disk is in GPT and you boot via BIOS compatibility it might not see that GPT drive, and instead is looking for MBR partition scheme. Also how did you make the bootable drive?

Make sure your bios is set for EFI boot only
Make sure your bootable drive is GPT formatted fat32

1 Like

It’s gpt and booting everything in UEFI, including the setup. I have both uefi and legacy enabled and my boot selection menu shows both as separate entries for each. I select the uefi one.

I guess the “installing windows first or separate drives” is the problem. I’ve experienced it before too but it was on a broken hdd.

What do you mean by recovering bootloader? Windows will remove grub? That’s not a huge problem for me.

Made the bootable by formatting usb as fat32(gpt) and copying everything from iso to the usb drive. Used dd before but it was using UDF file system.

Do you know exactly why this happens? It seems a really stupid thing.

not only will windows 10 write over grub, updates down the road can write over grub… thats why another disk is really the best way as you can separate the bootloaders to each OS disk and then choose which one you want to boot with the bios.

I’m not sure why windows wont see those partitions but my guess is, it doesnt recognize the file table… or doesnt like that theres an existing partition at the beginning of the disk.

1 Like

not only will windows 10 write over grub, updates down the road can write over grub… thats why another disk is really the best way as you can separate the bootloaders to each OS disk and then choose which one you want to boot with the bios.

I second this. Linux and Windows do not play nice when sharing a drive. Much better to let them play in their own rooms.

1 Like

I’ll boot linux directly by EFI stub. Don’t need bootloader anymore.
I can’t get another drive right not :’(

I guess I’d remove the esp partition and try again