Windows scrolling screen capture software

What are your preferred (*free) windows snipping/screen shot software that supports taking scrolling screenshots?

Googling around I’m getting such spammy vibes from various vendors/websites so hoping this community has some inputs. PicPick looks good but the site is SUPER aggressive (pop-ups etc) and there is no page showing paid vs free features. Snaggit only has a free trail.

For webpages? In Windows you can just use Edge’s built in web capture tool:

It allows you to save, export or just copy whole pages:

To give an example of the front page here after having tapped End a couple times:

1 Like

Firefox also supports scrolling screenshots natively in the browser.

For everything else (non-scrolling) I prefer Greenshot

1 Like

If you need to screenshot something that is not a web page, or you can’t save as multi-page document (say Word or something) your only option might be video. Microsoft Stream, OBS, RadeonSoftware, Game bar… take your pick.

1 Like

The game bar is a really underappreciated set of tools in this regard. It gives you straight out of the box options for screen capture and a lot of other things just by pressing Win+g.

Shucks, doesn’t seem to work when viewing a doc in Teams via web/Edge… it will just capture what is on screen but not what you can scroll through on screen.

Basically what I want to be able to do regardless of in web, PDF, word etc. (0:58)

I’m still not clear, do you mean web, PDF, word document opened in a browser or in their own programs, say PDF in Adobe reader?

To complete the browser series, in chrome, Ctrl+Shift+J (opens developer tools); Ctrl+Shift+P opens the quick search tool panel and you can get many different kinds of screenshots there.

OBS I installed the other day had a browser source plugin, not sure if there’s a special scrolling thing.

yes.

All the things. Basically the built in windows snippet tool but it lets you scroll and it then compiles a png/jpeg of the whole page/doc/whatever it was on screen needing to be scrolled down to the bottom like the image @Aug posted of this site. PicPick looks like it would do this but it comes off hella spammy.

I recommend ShareX (getsharex[dot]com). Also available to install/update via Ninite free version. Extremely useful for Windows OS systems.

Just make sure to disable the auto upload feature (the first capture typically prompts Y/N about uploading). The main downside is the standard installation defaults to auto upload.

It uploads to where? Very scared of this.

Teh reddits keeps mentioning greenshot and ShareX. Greenshot seems more limited.

I have snaggit on my work machine- snaggit is great, but not free…

Greenshot is nice to take a quick screenshot to paste into some document or email, when you want to put an arrow in, I prefer good old SnippingTool.

Not sure Greenshot can take scrolling screenshots.

It mentions it can… in Internet Explorer. I promptly stopped researching more into Greenshot lol.

ShareX has a lot of upload options. But they can all be turned off very easily both in the main Settings menu of the program as well as the right click system tray menu.

As long as the uploads are off, everything is saved to .\username\Documents\Sharex unless you change it.

1 Like

Lets say i derp on the settings, what is the default upload path, what is the cloud? Theirs? Or they want you to link to your own Gdrive, iCloud?

ShareX has a metric ton of options, so where is really whatever service are setup. My main concern when I started using ShareX was the anonymous upload to Imgur. But there is a global off in the settings menu that disables all upload options (even tools like OCR are off).

Here’s the GitHub if that is any use:

1 Like

Wow. I guess on the bright side it would make saving on a NAS easier? (assuming the share isn’t mapped to that client PC)

I have not played around with the upload options but I would surmise yes.

I took a quick peek at the “Destination Settings” menu that allows configuring uploads if enabled. Here’s the built in versions and I believe one can setup custom ones as well.

1 Like

Holly APIs Batman!

1 Like