Windows Home or Pr0

ok I definitely should have bought the retail version

I mean did you JUST place the order? NewEgg will generally let you cancel and swap if it hasn’t been fulfilled and you just ask customer service.

“Please sir can I buy the more expensive version?” isn’t exactly going to get a wag of the finger…

Lol, I tried no deal. They wont upgrade

I mean - retail is just the “most practical” option, but it’s not the end of the world. You have a legit OEM key. That system is beastly so I’m assuming it’s not like you’re going to be planning on upgrading it any time soon - and if for some reason your mobo does die and you need to swap it out and get into an activation fight with the Microsoft robots, the call center SHOULD provide you the re-activation you need.

Theres nothing wrong with using the OEM version. You’re good.

isn’t OEM like tied to motherboard instead of drive?

isn’t there a way to bake it into the mb?

Yeah when you activate it ties to the motherboard (for the most part + whatever other mystery algorithm M$ uses to magically determine it’s no longer able to activate/authenticate your digital license).

But if your mobo dies for some reason and you need to swap then you have to harass em’ to re-activate the OEM license.

Generally it’s not a huge gap between retail and OEM I buy the retail because then I have a license to use on a different machine (or as a VM) whenever I sell parts, etc. The transferability factor eventually always seems to pay itself off. (Particularly when with the promo code at NewEgg right now the retail version is only 20 bucks more than the OEM).

But like @Adubs said, nothign wrong with using the OEM version :slight_smile:

1 Like

OEM is tied to the HWID same as retail. The difference is how many activations before it starts making you call them.

I’ve swapped entire architectures on the same OEM install without issue.

I’ve had Windows 7 OEM that was registered on an old 2009 laptop work on a new Windows 7 VM this year. That was my spouse’s old laptop.

ok, thanks

For those who aren’t aware you can still activate Windows 10 with WIndows 7 keys.

In my experience this doesn’t work unless you have used your W7 key during the free upgrade period at some time.