Windows Home or Pr0

I’m seeing most threadripper builds using Windows pro. Do I need Windows 10 pro for performance when I don’t use any of the features it offers? I’m using 128 ram but its supported in Home version.

CPU: AMD Threadripper 3970X 3.7 GHz 32-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus ROG ZENITH II EXTREME ALPHA EATX sTRX4 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital Blue 6 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: PNY Quadro RTX 4000 8 GB Video Card
Case: Lian Li O11D XL-X ATX Full Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA G3 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit
Case Fan: ARCTIC P12 PST 56.3 CFM 120 mm Fans 5-Pack

You are right at the limit of what Win10 home supports (64 threads, 128gb ram), so if you ever want to upgrade your system while keeping your Windows install, you will have to upgrade the edition or get a new copy.

But for performance specifically, nope.

1 Like

I’ve definitely found “official/legit” pro licenses on sale in past years around this time of year for AROUND the same price as home versions.

If you go the official click to upgrade route through Windows to upgrade to Pro it will cost you more than the license should cost at all…

If you shop aggressively you should be able to wind up paying a few bucks now to save the potential of spending more later (having to just basically buy the full pro license from scratch anyway). Also if you can possibly find the retail instead of OEM you can more easily transfer that to machines in the future which may or may not matter to you (vs. having to call the staticy call center and convince them to phone activate your device if you ever need to replace your mobo due to failure and can’t 1:1 swap it.).

2 Likes

Home also doesn’t allow you to RDP to it.

Other than that, someone has to ask, why do you even need Windows.
And usual, Linux without restriction BS, passtrough VM, TR platform is great for that, etc etc…

You get the point :wink:

Linux is amazing.

Windows is still a valid OS. There are plenty of business purposes for using and knowing Windows.

The really cool thing about computers is that you can boot more than one OS. So you can have all of those things for free (on Linux) even if you ALSO happen to have a Windows license. :wink:

(And if you can stomach Windows in a VM which can be brought close to bare metal performance… seriously buy the retail license. You don’t want to muck around with the OEM activation nonsense when you update your Q35 or whatever machine type you’re running…)

I’mma answer that

look at this:

I’d say either VFX or 3d modelling

I’m on it because graphic design stuff :frowning:

1 Like

Seriously, if the need would ever arise just buy a greymarket Windows 10 Pro Key from a Reseller for 20 bucks and change it in the system settings. No need to even reinstall the System or anything.

1 Like

The Home edition don’t support Bitlocker, if that’s something you need, get the Pro license :slight_smile:

So I was on newegg and here are my choices
Microsoft Windows 10 Home - Full Retail Version 32 & 64-Bit (Download) 129.00

or

[Windows 10 Home - 64-bit - OEM 99.00

Best Buy has their pro retail on sale for 142. 12 bucks/9% more I would say is in the margin of “worth it” for pro IF you’re in a situation where getting the retail version makes sense for your particular needs over the OEM version.

Strike that from the record - apparently they’re just selling the OEM version at Retail price…

maybe you’d be better off by getting the pro version

I thought you already had it

1 Like

windows home

digitalproductkey 35.00

microsoftsoftwares 34.99 Are these legit?

Yeah if you’re fine with random greymarket keys - I would just find a website that “guarantees” it with known customer service. A few of the larger steam key re-sellers for example happen to also sell windows keys and have some form of a customer service department. (And you should be able to get a pro oem key for even less than 35…)

If you go this route you WILL need to use the automated phone activation method. And you can’t live in Turkey. :slight_smile:

Grey market keys have basically no real guarantees behind them.

Many times they are either acquired through stolen financial data like credit cards and bank accounts.

Or they may be from bulk enterprise licenses, at which point installing it on your device is breaking Microsoft’s TOS.

In either case if MS finds out they can simply remove that key from authentication without notice and you’d suddenly be out of a key.

by getting into grey market we’ll be threading a really thin line between legal and !legal

if you gonna use your computer for work you’d better get the real thing from a real source

if you can affort a RTX 4000 quadro you should be able to burn 140 on a pro legit version

please don’t be dumb :confused:

3 Likes

So the newegg options are legit?

We had an issue several years ago with a user selling grey market keys. So if you ever see that here it is a big no-no.

As far as recommending them, no not really. They can become invalid seemingly without warning and be a waste of money.

If you use this machine for work in any capacity, you should be legit about it. Because if you have to have downtime which could’ve been prevented in the first place you will look like a fool.

Home vs Pro: I’d say Pro. It’s more feature rich and stable, you can transfer it to new machines when you upgrade.

Buy grey market keys. They’re like $10 bucks. Or better yet help someone get rid of their windows 7 machine and use their old sticker to activate windows 10