Windows Games on Steam for Linux. [Proton client Testing grounds]

Maybe it has something to do with the Gambas dependency? In any case, sadly i-nex hasn’t seen an update since 2016 and may have de-appreciated, which is a shame because it is a great little program.

It lacks the benchmarking of CPU-Z, though.

2 Likes

You can’t do anything if it’s Unreal Engine as there’s no switch to turn it to OpenGL.

1 Like

So I just loaded up Bioshock 2 (not the HD remaster)…

It seems to work better than Bioshock 1 for me. While Bioshock 1 worked, I noticed that it would get hang-up’s on the loading screens for longer than they should be. Here, the game hovers at about 60fps at 1080p on my system. Not too bad.

Next up, I am installing Bioshock 2 Remastered. I will try out Bioshock 1 remastered as well. I’m not going to bother trying Bioshock Infinite, because the Linux port more or less is the windows version running on some compatibility layers.

2 Likes

I’ve got a few different video cards and systems to try this out on. On a laptop with a GCN rev 1 GPU (Radeon Mobility 8950) I can’t seem to get vulkan to work even though amdgpu is loaded and vulkan is installed from the repo. I get some vulkan errors on starting steam, and vkmark core dumps. OS is Fedora 28. Any tips on making this work?

I can get original Skyrim working, but it uses DX10 not DX11 (and hence it is not using DXVK.) But Skyrim SE loads to a blank screen.

1 Like

question has anyone tested nonsteam games that are added to steam by the user and require wine/dxvk/lutris to run? but working on proton alone?

1 Like

Finally someone posts a pic.

Now we need videos :smiley:

Wasn’t that what @Dje4321 was showing how to do above?

1 Like

Just need to create a .desktop file that sets everything up outside of steam as you cant manually enable steam play for non steam games

3 Likes

Yeah, it’s better to use Uplay from Lutris rather than use the Steam version… Stacked DRMs don’t really work on Wine.

3 Likes

haven’t read everything in here sadly…

1 Like

Did a quick test for Killing Floor 2, which Lutris had trouble with for some reason.
Game itself runs fine, but the progress that is on my steam account under windows is not available (from the cloud I guess).
That is not save games but progress ingame in general.

Anyone seen similar behaviour in other titles?

Here is Bioshock 1 Remastered running on my system:

It works, but it is also a little finicky. The game crashed once on me during the opening cinematic. I gave it a second try, and it worked for me. The framerate is all over the place on my system. It can jump anywhere from 30fps to 75fps. But it does work for me.

Bioshock 2 Remastered

No real issues with this one. But the framerate is lower than the original release on my system.

1 Like

Hi,

I use it for work purposes. I did not install those drivers specifically to test it. I just thought I would see how it runs on my environment.

If you look at those videos it runs really well. Many other games in my Steam Library also run on those AMDGPU-PRO drivers.

I do understand that many games, such as Hitman, fail to launch with them, yet run well with the default drivers for AMD Cards in Fedora for example.

Any more testing I run will be done on Ubuntu or Fedora with the default drivers for AMD cards.

Thanks for asking.

I’ve had some success with FF VIII. It’s not fully supported though. And there were some missing audio clips and graphical anomalies. Was running it on Fedora 28.

2 Likes

So I for the life of me can’t get a single game working.Got one working. I started with games I would like to see if they worked and then started going a-z. Some of the titles I tried are even on steams working list and a couple that others have reported in here as working no luck. Most of them start and then just stop running in steam. No errors or anything. Ones that don’t I will note the error I get. I will also continue to add games to my list as I test them. I have a semi large steam library to test. So I plan to test just about every single game I own that doesn’t have native linux support.

Moving my list to a Google Sheet

Working

• Altitude0: Lower & Faster (Runs great. No problems with graphic settings or anything. Mouse doesn’t seem to work while actually flying. DS4 is recognized as an x360 controller though)
  • Assassin’s Creed (Surprised this works. The mouse is a little hokey. Multiple monitors seem so sometimes let the mouse drift off to the side monitors. Sometimes tabbing back in locks the cursor to the window. DS4 doesn’t work… well the touch pad on it works like a touch pad would.)
  • The Banner Saga 2 (Runs fine windowed. Anything above 1920x1080 results in a black screen with Esc menu and sound. )

Not Working:
(Like others have stated No Uplay Titles seem to work.)

• 1954 Alcatraz
  • ABC Color Town (I mean someone might want to run this game. Unity crash. Have to kill the process. Have dump file if someone is interested)
  • Acceleration of SUGURI 2 (A black window pops up for a couple seconds then closes)
  • Age Of Empires II: HD Edition
  • Age of Empires III: Complete Collection (This one seems like it should work. But for me I cant enter more than 4 characters in the first part of the CD Key input… FANTASTIC)
  • Anno 2205 (Another Uplay Titles)
  • Arma 2 (Launches then crashes with “Bad Serial number given in Setup”)
  • Arma: Gold Edition (Same crash as Arma 2)
  • Ashes of the Singularity: Classic
  • Ashes of the Singularity: Escalation (StarDock Launcher worked. Hitting play crashed it with no error. After trying again the stardock launcher is now an invisible window.)
  • Assetto Corsa
  • ASTRONEER ( Gives me an error regarding Directx11 needing level 10.0?)
  • AudioSurf (Launches then closes after the loading bar hits about 1/4)
  • Blackwake
  • Castle Crashers
  • Crysis
  • The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (Non SE)
  • Fallout: New Vegas
  • For Honor (Uplay Titles)
  • Legend of Grimrock 2
  • Raft
  • Squad (this one is interesting because it has a linux beta in the works. Nothing has been uploaded to steam. So It installs by creating a empty folder and adding itself to your installed titles. Thus I cant force it to install with Proton)

System Specs:

• Ryzen 2700
  • Asus x470 Strix
  • 32GB 3000mhz DDR4
  • VEGA 64 (Also have a 290x but thats used for GPU passthrough to a windows guest)
  • Ubuntu 18.04 w/ 4.17.11
1 Like

That definitely works on vanilla wine. Admittedly i only tried with the nvidia driver.

I think that proton will incorporate patches for these titles. A lot of games i know for sure work on wine don’t work on proton and yet it is wine/dxvk.

Few more tested games:

Binary Domain

Binary Domain is a pretty great third person shooter developed by Sega. The game does work, however my game controller does not, as the calibration is all out of wack and the character just spins around in circles. But it does work with a keyboard and mouse. Interestingly enough, Binary Domain also uses a microphone to talk to your NPC team mates. The game understands single phrases like “yes and no” when you talk into the mic. The mic does work.

DOOM 3 BFG Edition:

This one does not start at all. Though in all fairness, I think the same issues that plagues me from starting the game is also an issue on Windows. But there are native binaries for Linux that do work:

Sonic Generations

yeah I have quite a few Sonic games, because I bought a humble bundle package a couple years ago. This one gives me an error at start up saying that my game is not configured properly, then it crashes.

2 Likes

Oh I know A good part of my steam library will run in wine. Some give me issues. Could be the AMD card. I just want to go through my library and test the games I own with steams…native? (can you call it that?) native wrapper. Its for the greater good.

2 Likes

Fallout New vegas was working for me a couple days ago, when I first got into the Steam beta. However, I just tried running the game right now, and it crashes on start up. Hmmm… There was a beta update today, so I wonder if this is a regression?

Valve disabled developer mode by default. I have a feeling that disabling this caused New Vegas to stop working?

2 Likes

@VanillaWaferX As of last last night, the original Skyrim was working for me fine on an AMD GPU. I did have to run “winetricks xact” in the Proton prefix to get sound working, but after that it seemed to run fine. I’ll try again tonight and see if it’s still working.

1 Like