Windows Games on Steam for Linux. [Proton client Testing grounds]

Are you running the steam version?

I’ve never encountered this issue.

/rabbit hole

Doom crashes for me, not sure how to debug.
Edit:
Might be because I’m running it from one of my NTFS formatted HDDs as my Linux SSD is tiny.
Edit2:
Apparently my files are corrupted, on verifying game files it restarted downloading the game.

Edit3:
Mesa 18.2.0 is required as per https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton/blob/proton_3.7/PREREQS.md for DOOM(2016) and some others.
The padoka stable repo for AMD has 18.1.6.

Edit4:
Ah they recommend unstable padoka ppa, I shall switch!

Edit5:
Unstable padoka PPA broke my desktop (only started empty desktop), I have gone back to stable padoka for now.

Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy runs briefly… then just crashes past the splash screen. It’s long enough for me to get a peek at the DXVK version though… It’s DXVK version 0.64-58-g6a5ad8b, (Release version 0.65 with one extra commit) which is maintained on Valve’s own DXVK repository. The crash is likely due to this being based off of Wine 3.7, since Wine Staging Esync 3.14 is completely fine.

Subnautica and all Unity games with OpenGL rendering options run fine, but will crash on exit, as is normal for these games, regardless of Wine or Native Windows.

BTW, here’s the Valve DXVK repository:

(that’s the branch in use by Proton 3.7. master is more up to date.)

And the Valve Wine repository:

Also, prepare to be a little shocked as Proton 3.7 creates ONE PREFIX PER GAME. Each time you install a new game, it makes a fresh prefix.

Inside steamapps/common/Proton 3.7/dist/lib/wine/dxvk, you’ll also find that the DXVK dlls from Valve are 50-70MB each. Vanilla DXVK is 2MB tops.

1 Like

There a full wiki page already:

That is one ungodly page to edit… Good luck sorting it… I still prefer a editable Google Doc.

1 Like

They copypastaed this Google Doc…

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1DcZZQ4HL_Ol969UbXJmFG8TzOHNnHoj8Q1f8DIFe8-8/edit

1 Like

Quantum Conundrum has issues with lighting on my machine

Although it seems to work for another person https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1DcZZQ4HL_Ol969UbXJmFG8TzOHNnHoj8Q1f8DIFe8-8/edit#gid=0&range=A102

I am running xubuntu 18.04 64 bit with nvidia-390 and a GTX 760.

Supreme Commander 2 work for me

please do take ownership, i was merely creating the thread to get the ball rolling. That goes to anyone else with permission. of course i will add to it too.

1 Like

What’s the path to the application-specific prefix? I found a default prefix at $HOME/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/Proton 3.7/dist/share/default_pfx, but I can’t seem to find prefixes for the Windows games I’ve installed.

And that brings up another question. I’ve got a modded Fallout 4 install that I manage with a mod manager inside my Fallout 4 prefix. Does there appear to be any way to install 3rd party tools inside a Proton prefix?

They seem to be under /Steam/steamapps/compatdata/Game_Id

3 Likes

Benchmarking Ultra Street fighter IV @1440p on a potato tier system 130fps average on high settings, no issues other than there seems to be no full screen option.

1 Like

Crysis 2 “Maximum Edition” runs perfectly in DX11 mode. I got an initial error about an unrecognized video card, but the game proceeded to run flawlessly @ 1600p. I did notice a bit of lagginess despite fps @ 45+, but I think dropping the settings will fix that.

So, yes, it will run Crysis.

6 Likes

Divinity Original Sin 2 runs flawlessly on Lutris with DXVK. I only have the GOG version but it should run equally good on steam as well.

2 Likes

The Evil Within

This is another iDTech 5 game that uses OpenGL. Considering how good the performance is on The New Order, I thought I would give this game a try too. The audio only works for the opening company logos, but once the game starts there is no audio. Performance is not so good either, but it does work. But then again, performance for this game is pretty poor on Windows as well.

Bayonetta

Crashes on start up. Does not work at all.

Grand Theft Auto IV

Already this one is a mess. But I blame it on the layers of DRM that Rockstar implemented into this one. First of all, the game asks me to install Windows Live… which no longer exists, so I skip this. The game crashes after the “log in” window.

Max Payne 3

Hmmm… This one works past the company logos but gets stuck at the “initialization” screen. Yet again, Rockstars DRM strikes out. I have a feeling that this game would work if that was not a roadblock.

DmC Devil May Cry

More like Devil May Crash on start up. Does not work.

Batman: Arkham Asylum - GOTY Edition

Also crashed on start up.

Typing of the Dead: Overkill

Going to go with a little more obscure title here. But yet again, this one also crashes at start up.

So far my second batch of games tested is a lot more miss than hit. I will test more later.

1 Like

It’s an issue with Stream Output on Unity games. Not the first and definitely not the last. The DXVK guy is only making that a priority once it’s the last thing to be done, cause apparently writing a Vulkan compute shader to simulate Stream Output is extremely hard.

Try launching with -force-opengl

FYI, They’ve locked the Google Doc from direct edits due to vandalism. Submit your results with this form:

This is the true view-only version of the document:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vQ3_odz8JzEVK80vkku-b6FsICWb45xGf4VYnzYz5cNSMVQ-5BA2WoHBGAScw96MgLj1ONA7Cx0tyGa/pubhtml

2 Likes

I can’t get Divinity: Original Sin 2 to work with Steam Play. This is somewhat surprising since it works fine with my custom wine-staging 3.11 + DXVK 0.5x + FO4/Skyrim SE patches setup.

EDIT: Found this note on the Google Doc: Crash at first, some Workarounds to get it up and running: Change SupportTool.exe to SupportTool.exe.bak and EoCApp.exe to SupportTool.exe. Then also set xaudio2_7: native,builtin through winecfg.

I tried the steps provided, and it does run, though I had to run winecfg with my distros native Wine since I don’t know how to invoke Proton. It runs, but audio is choppy. I’ll stick to my custom setup until they work that out.

people are dicks.

4 Likes

I gave it a quick test with Crysis 2 and Mirror Edge and I am happy with the results. Of course there were issues:

Crysis 2 has some weird issues when I changed the resolution, but it was fixed once I switch between windowed mode and fullscreen. Otherwise it worked fine.

Mirror Edge has some strange issues with the font (it looks really low res then it should be). It also doesn’t warp the cursor when you move the camera (when you hit the edge of the desktop the camera stops moving).

But I am honestly excited for this as it allows me to buy Windows game again and still support the Linux platform!