Windows Defender is acting strange

Ever since the Windows 10 Anniversary update Ive been getting these pop ups from Windows Defender telling me to enable active protection and it wont go away. I have Avast! Premier Antivirus Installed and I haven't had any kind of problems. Anyone know how to fix this?

Go to "services" and disable it there.

EDIT: Didn't read the post properly, you may be able to disable the notification via the action center, just right click the notification.

There is no good in having two active AV scanners running. They usually pester and inhibit each other.

To be honest, when looking at the last AV comparison tests I saw... use the defender and thats it... they are all good at catching known threats and fail usually at new ones.. the heuristics and behavior analysis sums up to be snake oil =/

Decent (free) antivirus solution + malwarebytes is pretty much good enough for most home users.
The most important thing is common sense.

1 Like

I too had issues with this.

It's a problem with Avast's way it informs Defender that it's been installed. I've read something about this on their forum. Unfortunately, I can't find the damned article now, but an engineer from Avast piped in on the conversation saying they were working on the fix.

Avast isn't installing like it should on Anniversary update, or not making the necessary registry entries. And Defender relies on proper registration through the registry.

So Defender can't tell if you have another anti-virus installed. Give them a bit more time. Of course, it may be that they fixed it by now and are just waiting for a significant enough of an update to Avast to implement it?