Windows constantly "unable to apply updates" on boot

I would rather have the most updated version possible, but my VM stalls at 19.something too

It won’t install “2021-03 cumulative update preview”

Ćest là vie

Tempted to just GPO away updates and yolo it.

1 Like

This was several years ago but I had Windows 10 manage to break Windows Update to the point where it couldn’t even download new updates because it was forever stuck on a failed update. It never even got to the point where it would apply on boot, it was just stuck at the initial install part with some uninformative error code.

If you would rather fix it since it’s a feature update, maybe downloading a 2004 or 20H2 ISO would let you run the installer which could perhaps succeed.

1 Like

Sounds silly, but I’d try to a check disk on the disk and have it fix errors. I’ve had that fix this issue before.

Is chkdsk currently safe to use? Last I heard from it, it would do more harm than good.

Had this issue. Tried many things to no avail. @adubs had me update from install media and that worked.

2 Likes

run sfc :scannow from an elevated command prompt.

let it do any repairs it needs to
then run this… it will check your windows health

then run
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
any errors?..
run this one aswell.
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
if it finds errors
run
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

… once windows boots. go to the run prompt in windows admintools in start
and type
msconfig
click selective startup
uncheck load startup items. then go to the startup tab.
open task manager and disable anything that isnt your antivirus/keyboard and mouse/audo/gfx tools.

anything else you find there disable.
go back to the msconfig apply your changes and reboot.
hopefully you will get a quick boot. if so, open the msconsole again and set your boot sequence to include startup items. but leave the changes you made via taskmanager as disabled.
apply reboot…
if all is well open it one more time and select normal startup.

lastly try removing things that are clogging up your startup if you have stuff like one drive and such, set the preference for that app not to start at boot time in the app. this will remove its startup item from the list you saw previously in task manager.

if your still having a slow start up then you will need to look in device manager. look for any red/yellow warnings that show failed or bad drivers.

oh and while you update. disable your antivirus, just enable defender for the time your updating. and disable any blocking software that changes your host file if you have any installed (spybot anti beacon).

run the windows clean up assistant. to clean out any old windows update downloads.
once done try updating.

Tried it. No issues.

All the sfc and dism commands showed normal state.

Steam and discord are the only startup programs, aside from skype reeeee

The startup is from windows update trying and failing to install updates, then rolling them back…

You guys are running antivirus?

1 Like

disable feature updates: How to Install Only Security Updates on Windows 10 – Chris Titus Tech

1 Like

your not using an antivirus?, R, YOU MAD BRO!
:wink:
you know the only mitigations for some windows zero days are in defender?. they stop things like eternal blue and other exposed server exploits.

try running nmap -script vuln (your routers ip). (if your running windows) then after you stop crying, turn on defender :slight_smile:

:smiley:

my last suggestion is clear out the update cache.
open elevated cmd and try these.

rd /S /Q C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution

rd /S /Q C:$WINDOWS.~BT
or
rd /S /Q C:$WINDOWS-OLD

if that fails then its likely a service you have disabled saying as you have checked the o.s. integrity.

and you did check your host file to make sure there are no m.s servers being blocked. the slow install maybe due to timeouts during download.

good luck.

1 Like

Grab an ISO of the latest version 20H2/21H1 with your language and edition, mount it with Explorer, start Setup.exe.

I recently upgraded from 20H2 to 21H1 and everything went fine and I even was able to switch the default install language from BG to EN(US).

1 Like

Not sure if you’ve already tried this, but try clearing the Windows Update Files. I think the easiest way to do this is run disk cleanup as admin and tick the box for Windows Update Files (I haven’t been using my Windows machine much lately so this might not be the exact wording).

1 Like

hacker gets control of my windows system

Cool. You can play cyberpunk or satisfactory. Aww, you were looking for bank creds? Too bad.

If I have to wipe my windows partition due to virus, nothing of value was lost. It’s literally a default windows installation with steam and discord.

3 Likes

Now that seems like a good idea.

Following this suggestion, along with the GPO configuration for deferring feature updates. Will report findings.

port 80: vulnerable: slowloris

OH THE HORROR!

not the best idea. as they tend to be pre builds and can be buggy.
they are dev images that can be wiped and replaced, so never meant for a daily driver.

Can I do the same thing with the latest “general availability” build, for lack of a better term?